Email within cubecart questions

lr

Hi

I have a client who sends many thousands of emails every week to his different groups of customers. 

Can the cubecart6 'email customers' interface be set up to deal with this?

I expect it may need some server settings /cron etc.

My question I suppose..Is this how it is intended?

Is it meant to cope with high volume or should I use something specifically intended for large mailshots.?

thanks

Edited by lr

Hi

CubeCart cannot cope with this as it sends all newsletters in one go and you would run into email sending limits that every shared hosting company would put in place which would mean that most of these would be silently discarded.

However, we have a plugin that we are just about to release that allows you to configure the hourly sending limits and then it uses a cron process to send that number of emails per hour (or whatever number of emails per your specified time limit) to prevent this.

The plugin is not yet even on our website so if you want details please contact me directly

Thanks

Ian

Welcome lr! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

Your client should already have a solution to their bulk mailing.

That said, CC5/6 allows for the export of the customer's email addresses to a text file.

That text file can be used by or merged into the existing solution.

CC5's built-in function of sending Newsletters is limited to the recipients of only those who have signed up to receive these newsletters from the store.

For CC6, I am not aware if the codebase has changed to include all customer's, not just newsletter subscribers. But probably not.

Your client should already have a solution to their bulk mailing.

That said, CC5/6 allows for the export of the customer's email addresses to a text file.

That text file can be used by or merged into the existing solution.

CC5's built-in function of sending Newsletters is limited to the recipients of only those who have signed up to receive these newsletters from the store.

For CC6, I am not aware if the codebase has changed to include all customer's, not just newsletter subscribers.

​1. Yes you can manually export all customer email addresses and send newsletters manually through a normal email client but firstly why would you want the extra hassle of doing that ; secondly, if you send emails to people that havent signed up to receive your email you are breaking anti-spam laws and are likely to seriously annoy your customers that dont want your newsletter ; thirdly, why not use the built in newsletter template system to create great looking newsletters

2. Even if you export the email addresses and manually send newsletters as suggested, shared hosting accounts are still subject to a sending limit - for many shared hosts this is usually around 100 to 150 emails per hour - makes no difference HOW you send them - all emails sent via your SMTP account are included in this total

3. You can of course use commercial mailing solutions like MailChimp or other similar companies and these can have some advantages and disadvantages but one main disadvantage is that being commercial, you will need to pay for it although some do have limited free offerings.

Ian