Best way to upgrade?

vidmarc

Whenever I've upgraded via the CubeCart admin area I have problems with the database not matching the store version etc. Will it work this time around, and what exactly causes this problem each time?

Should I upload the file manually via ftp or hit the "Upgrade Now" link in admin?

WARNING: Your store is not up-to-date, v6.0.4 is available, but you are running v6.0.2

Upgrade to Latest Version

Edited by vidmarc

I have more consistent results upgrading via cPanel than I do from within CC.For instance I tried from within CC for 6.0.4 - one store worked, the other did not. Both were on 6.0.2 with Foundation skins. The one that did not has fewer modifications, so that wasn't the difference. They are on the same server, but different domains.

I have no definitive answer as to what exactly causes this problem each time. Evidence suggests that even though PHP's timelimit to run a script is adjusted quite high, PHP still runs out of time running the backup/download/decompress/install sequence. Other evidence suggests other reasons.

For CC602, I suggest FTP the files overwriting the existing files. If you have customized Foundation, make sure you have either renamed or copied that skin folder to somewhere else.

Then run www.mystore.com/setup/.

@Dirty Butter, "The one that did not [succeed] has fewer modifications, "

Maybe that was it. I have read that you apply fixes found in the Github. Maybe one of those fixes was related in some way to the process CubeCart goes through to download and overwrite the codebase.

As long as your customized skin is not named foundation, it will be intact after upgrade. As for applying GitHub as it arises, yes, I have been doing that. But I have been doing it on both stores. I keep a backup from the last upgrade, but try to keep the sites current to GitHub.

I upgraded from 5.2.5 to 6.04 last night and I have to say it was the easiest upgrade I have ever done.  I was scared it would take me days.

Only took 15 minutes, I could not believe it.

I used the auto feature on the admin page. 

Congratulations to Alan and CC. :)

Edited by harrisorganic
Error in version