Foundation Advanced Search, plus an errant link issue

Well, I thought, since I was able to create a text link to the Advanced Search page, that I would be able to modify the icon on the simple search box, as you suggested. But everything I tried still sent me to the simple search results page, with of course NO items found.

I need help with changing the search icon behavior.

I'll look at the code.

But basically, there will need to be an edit such that, as opposed to how it operates now with accepting zero search terms to query for, we need to test for zero search terms and redirect to the advanced search display.

I did not mean to imply that just changing some placeholder wording was sufficient.

There is a difference between a link and a form submission.

So, it seems there is some javascript validation. In /foundation/js/3.cubecart.validate.js, near lines 296-307, I will comment that range of statements.

Then, the field itself has a 'required' attribute. So, comment that as well.

Ok, so now I get the typical red "Warning" banner: "The following errors were detected: No matching products found. Please try again." And "Search Results -- No products found."

Your store's behavior is way too different.

In addition the commenting above, try in /classes/cubecart.class.php, in the private function _category() near line 680 in CC604, insert the new content:

Find near lines 715-723:
    if (!empty($terms)) {
        foreach ($terms as $term) {
            if (($select = $GLOBALS['db']->select('CubeCart_search', array('id', 'hits'), array('searchstr' => strtoupper($term)))) !== false) {
                $GLOBALS['db']->update('CubeCart_search', array('hits' => $select[0]['hits'] + 1), array('id' => $select[0]['id']), false);
            } else {
                $GLOBALS['db']->insert('CubeCart_search', array('searchstr' => strtoupper($term)));
            }
        }
    } /* NEW -> */ else { httpredir('?_a=search'); }

Edited by bsmither
Syntax error.

I tried to carefully follow your directions, but it crashed. I NO SOONER POSTED THIS THAN I REALIZED MY MISTAKE - LEFT AN EXTRA BRACE

box.search.php

{* ORIGINAL <input name="search[keywords]" type="text" placeholder="{$LANG.search.input_default}" required> *}
{* BSMITHER ADVANCED SEARCH CHANGE*}
<input name="search[keywords]" type="text" placeholder="{$LANG.search.input_default}">
3.cubecart.validate.js
/* BSMITHER ADVANCED SEARCH REMOVE VALIDATE
    $("#search_form, #small_search_form").validate({
        rules: {
            'search[keywords]': {
                required: true
            }
        },
            'search[keywords]': {
                required: $('#validate_search').text()
            }
        }
    });
END BSMITHER ADVANCED SEARCH REMOVE VALIDATE */
cubecart.class.php
                if (!empty($terms)) {
                    foreach ($terms as $term) {
                        if (($select = $GLOBALS['db']->select('CubeCart_search', array('id', 'hits'), array('searchstr' => strtoupper($term)))) !== false) {
                            $GLOBALS['db']->update('CubeCart_search', array('hits' => $select[0]['hits'] + 1), array('id' => $select[0]['id']), false);
                        } else {
                            $GLOBALS['db']->insert('CubeCart_search', array('searchstr' => strtoupper($term)));
                        }
                    }
} else { httpredir('?_a=search'); }
                } OMIT THIS BRACE
            }
        }
        if (!empty($query)) {

Edited by Dirty Butter