[Resolved] Wine Packaging

harrisorganic

Hi Developers,

I send organic wine all over the world and across Australia by various freight companies.

The standard packing sizes are 1,3,6,12,24,36 .... bottles.

I would like to have some code to allow customers to be guided to fill their packaging to the correct number of bottles.

At the moment I have to email customers asking them if they want a bottle or two more to fill the carton at no extra charge in postage.

I look forward to hearing if this is possible.

regards

Duncan

Hi , yes I am using the All in One Shipping AIOS module. I was using Aust Post and By Price, but just AIOS from last week. I can give my customers a better price than AusPost. 

I did try to use shipping by category for one particular item, but the AIOS was not compatible.

Do you have a suggestion regarding AIOS?

That would be very nice, however I don't know how to write this into code. I have placed wording on the front page and in the conditions, but that does not stop people ordering 4, 5,7 or 8,9,10, 11 bottles. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I will be trying to make the edits to the AIOS module.

And, are you really dead-set against shipping anything but 1,3,6,12, or multiples thereof? That is, is there any heartbreaks or headaches to ship a case less one bottle? As long as the customer is reasonably informed?

Hi Brian,

There are a few points to mention:

The integrity of the package is reduced if the package is not full. 

I sell more wine if the package is full

I dont have to ask the customer to increase or decrease their order.

So 1,3,6,12, or multiples thereof is good.

I had a look in AIOS  index.inc.php line 51, some code using range_items may be useful?

Line 51   $module->_settings['range_items'] = 0;

Any further ideas?

"So 1,3,6,12, or multiples thereof is good."

Sure, but would it be a deal-breaker if it's not?

I want to experiment with "Total quantity-based rates". Here is the table I created on a zone:

Description  Shipping Price  Total Quantity of Items
Single        8.99            1 - 1
Q-Case       12.99            2 - 3
H-Case       16.99            4 - 6
F-Case       21.99            7 - 12

What I want to do is to have the AIOS module to make the determine that if the item count is not at the top of a range (1,3,6,12), add an advisory to the page (to say whatever).

One obstacle I see for a complete solution so far is to have the AIOS module create as few shippable objects as possible. For example, 17 bottles will create two shippable objects: a F-Case (full case of 12), and a H-Case (half case of 6) with the advisory about wanting to get to a full package.

I can do quantity based rates and disregard the weight based shipping I have. I have all the products at the same weight anyway, except for one which I have taken off the site. I did try a shipping by category based rate for the heavy product, but it did not work for me. AIOS always gave a cheaper price. Some thing to look at, at a later date.

"One obstacle I see for a complete solution so far is to have the AIOS module create as few shippable objects as possible. For example, 17 bottles will create two shippable objects: a F-Case (full case of 12), and a H-Case (half case of 6) with the advisory about wanting to get to a full package."

Well thought through Brian.

And in that case, it might want to advise that the next full package is 18, ie after 12 bottles step up in 6s only. I dont want to say after 12 bottles step up in 12s, but it is an option. I dont mind either way as long as over 12 bottles the cases are full. As it is possible to buy a half case of wine A and a full case of Wine B.

I did think of setting up the weight ranges so that the weight of the number of bottles, ie 4-5 and 7-11 were very high shipping costs, but not  a good way to go.

Lets have a go.

Taking note of the table of shipping rates above, I have probably come to the wrong conclusion as to how this works.

I was working on the theory that the rate chart for Quantity would result in the total shipping for that line in the chart: a count of 12 would be 21.99 total.

But now, based on getting a good look at the code, I need to be thinking this is actually the shipping per item. That is, a count of 12 would be 21.99 per item, or 263.88. Thus, one would need to set the per item shipping rate for each line in the chart.

If this is true, then the AIOS module may not be workable as the basis of deriving a solution at all!

Errr.... Maybe not. I'm seeing a "Flat Rate" that applied to ranges of item count. Got to test this.

Brian,

I had everything working oK using the flat rate + a value per kilogramme. Then I  changed all regions to price per item, see the screen (attached word doc) on AIOS version 1.0.5. Does not work properly for me.

Seems as though the number of items is twice as many as there should be.

Aust Post12.00 + 0.00 per item0 - 3Edit RowDelete Row
Aust Post2.00 + 0.00 per item12 - 36Edit RowDelete Row
Aust Post10.00 + 0.00 per item

4 - 11   

In the above case 5 items gives me $10 postage

and 6 items gives $2 postage.  So I turned on debugging in AIOS and voila, 7 bottle gives 13 items

ie from debugging

BASKET TOTALS

Basket weight: 9.310
Basket value: 626.50
Basket item count: 13             when I entered 7 bottles, ie 6 more than required. And a few more tests gives 6 more items than entered.

When we get this sorted, I will have a guess that leaving out a range of items in AIOS may sort the packaging issue.

Brian, your thoughts please.

AIOS-2015-1.06.docx

Edited by harrisorganic

"Leaving out a range of items may sort the packaging issue."

So, if the ranges are actually:

Description  Shipping Price  Total Quantity of Items
Single        8.99            1 - 1
Q-Case       12.99            3 - 3
H-Case       16.99            6 - 6
F-Case       21.99           12 - 12

Then your proposed solution for a Cart with seven bottles is to have AIOS to calculate there is no rate found that it can apply?

Then, are we still trying for enhancing the module to give a result of two shippable objects: a H-Case and a Single.

Parenthetical: Just a thought about the integrity of a box with an empty section - if you still end up doing that - those toy foam swimming noodles might be a reasonably priced packing fill for the empty section. It may be that you could even charge extra packaging for partially filled boxes.

"We need to sort the issue of the number of items being 6 more than the entered amount."

Do you think this is a separate issue, or a linked issue with the AIOS module? That is, when you were using modules other than AIOS, did this occur -- was it even noticeable?

In admin, Store Settings, Advanced, enable Debugging. Enter your IP address (www.whatismyip.com) in the adjacent field.

Start shopping. When you get to checkout, look at the debug section. There will be shown a list of items in the cart and each item's quantity. Please verify that what you placed in the cart is accurately reflected here.

Yes, I think this is an issue with AIOS module.

1. I turned off AIOS and turned on Auspost shipping. I think the postage is for item# + 6 not sure, did not use debug.

2 Changed from Foundation to Kuroto, no change

3. Turned off "disable shipping groups", no change

4. Cleared cache on PC, no change

5. turned off Auspost shipping and back to AIOS, but changed back to flat rate + $/kg. This is OK and debugging shows correct number.

6, therefore AIOS has bug in flat rate + $/item.

Now I have it. Starting with empty basket, I add several items to the cart and update basket. All looks good.

then

Delete an item and when updating the number of items is the same , not reduced. Hence if I had 6 items and deleted 3 items I would still 6 items in memory, according to debug.

Later I used the empty basket and after adding one item the debug says I have 3 items.  Mmmmm

Then as per Brians request I  enable Debugging by Entering the web address (www.whatismyip.com) in the adjacent field. Now it is OK. 

Edited by harrisorganic
Another test

The following errors were detected:

• Unfortunately there are no suitable shipping methods available for your order. This may be because the total weight of your order is too high or we cannot ship to your country. Please contact a member of our staff for any further inquiries.

Now if I can change this message to; some thing like :

• Unfortunately there are no suitable shipping methods available for your order. This may be because the total number of items in your order does not fit our packaging or we cannot ship to your country. Please check the number of items such that there is 1,3,6,12,18,24...

I will see if I can find the text in foundation skin

• Unfortunately there are no suitable shipping methods available for your order. This may be because the total weight of your order is too high or we cannot ship to your country. Please contact a member of our staff for any further inquiries.

The phrase won't be in the skin templates. This is an advisory/warning phrase in the language file.

In admin, Languages, click the edit icon for the language you want to change.

When shown the drop-down, choose Checkout. When shown the list, change the phrase associated with the 'error_shipping' key.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Developers,

I send organic wine all over the world and across Australia by various freight companies.

The standard packing sizes are 1,3,6,12,24,36 .... bottles.

I would like to have some code to allow customers to be guided to fill their packaging to the correct number of bottles.

At the moment I have to email customers asking them if they want a bottle or two more to fill the carton at no extra charge in postage.

I look forward to hearing if this is possible.

regards

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I concern about your idea,

How can you do resolve your problem.

Regards.

Edited by Cyberart