Upgrading.

One more thing I have thought of - when I upgraded I simply uploaded the contents from the cube cart folder - should I have also uploaded the actual Cubecart folder as well? My uploaded files start with the one name admin - are there any hidden files within the cube cart folder which need to be uploaded too?

So - do you think the fault is with the web server?

Once again thanks for your help. I shall call Easy space tomorrow for answers to those questions & then hopefully might be closer to finding a solution.

Hi - spoke to Easy Space and they say that the site will work on both www and public. The server is also configured to use the mod_rewrite functions.

They said that basically all the store front links are missing and take you to pages that does not exist. 

I noticed a person you replied to earlier having a similar problem (under the title Storefront hardlinks all gives 404 after fresh V6 installation ) and saw that you solved it for them.

Please can you explain what he did to solve the problem or can I just reload the original Cubecart version I started off with and start again?! Getting desperate now. 

Thanks

There was no answer to "Is the web server using /www/ or /public_html/ to serve the pages of your store?"

Until you know which folder, we will have to make sure that there is the .htaccess file in both folders and make sure both files have the following edit:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteBase /

The RewriteBase / statement is new. Apparently, this edit fixed that other person's problem. There's no assurance this edit will solve yours.

"All the store front links are missing and take you to pages that does not exist."

A link cannot be both 'missing' and 'take you to a page that does not exist'. So, perhaps their actual meaning got lost in translation.

In CubeCart, links for products, categories, documents and a few other pages actually point to non-existent pages. That's what the re-writing feature of the web server solves. It takes a URL such as:
www.store.com/a-ridiculously-long-but-friendly-and-easy-to-read-phrase-about-a-product.html

and rewrites that URL to a specific format that CubeCart can easy use to figure out what product, category, or document to show the store's visitor.

If the re-write mechanism is functioning properly, there will never be the case where the web server will return a 404 Not Found response.

The people who manage the web server should know about the need for the RewriteBase statement, if that is, in fact, what will fix your problem.

They said that both  /www/ and /public_html/ were used as it prevented other problems arising from various browsers being used?! ( -again I may not have got this entirely right!)

The .htaccess file however appears to only be in the /www/ folder and not the other. This is the one that I copied and pasted to you yesterday and I noticed that the final RewriteBase / is missing.

Whereabouts should I put it in within the list of other commands?

Also should I copy the .htaccess file into /public_html/ or is that something that needs to be done by easy space?

"Both /www/ and /public_html/ were used as it prevented other problems arising from various browsers being used."

Preposterous! But I would invite a comment from @HavenswiftHosting, who is a professional CubeCart hosting provider.

"Whereabouts should I put it in within the list of other commands?"

Exactly where I showed you in a post just above this one. Add the statement on a new line just after ReWriteBase On.

"Should I copy the .htaccess file into /public_html/?"

Yes.

OK I have added the RewriteBase to /www/ and all is working now.

I cannot seem to copy the .htaccess file to /public_html/ however - in fact I can only see it when I do a search for it and it then appears as if it is a hidden file (i.e. its title is grey rather than the usual black font)

One further thing (Sorry!!) which seems to be a mystery is that although all our images are still on the website storefront ( and I can locate them all in www/images/source ), they seem to have disappeared from our file manager images tab within the admin side of the store.

Any explanation for this?

The images not showing in the FileManager picker box (probably) is one of the preposterous results I am complaining about. I have no good answer for you on that.

It depends what you are using to view the listing of files on your site. A filename that starts with a period is a "system" file and in almost all cases should be left alone. Many utilities that are used to manage system files will honor the 'untouchableness' that system files have. The .htaccess file is an exception -- but still should be left alone unless you know what you are doing. Once you find it, try renaming it to not have a period, copy it, edit it, whatever, then rename it back to having a period as the first character.

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late to the party and there is no update to say whether these issues were ever fixed.  However, to clarify, many hosting accounts (cPanel for example) will always have a public_html and a www listing - the public_html is a true directory and www is a symbolic link to it  It is recommended to only ever upload files to public_html although in theory it shouldnt make any difference.  The issues here appear confused and the OP might have been better going down one of the first two routes rather than the DIY one !

Ian