digital downloads not working

brand80

As of a recent upgrade to v6 my digital downloads are no longer working. When I try a download link in Internet Explorer I get a Webpage Cannot Be Found error. In Chrome I get a 404 Not Found also, however it gives me more information as to the error. It looks as if my store is trying to locate my files in the wrong place. I have and always have had my files stored in a directory below public_html at /home/(username here)/files...etc... In Chrome when it's giving me the 404 error page it states The requested URL /home/(username here)/files/(etc....etc...).pdf was not found on this server and in the address bar the url changes from the URL I clicked on/pasted with the download/accesskey to display www.mysite.com/home/(username here)/files(et...etc...).pdf. Obviously the (username here) and other stuff was edited out for security reasons. It's not looking below the public_html folder for the file it's just appending the download location to my site url. I am running 6.0.4 and php 5.5.18.

Brandon

I actually just thought I'd try something for the heck of it and copied the v5 classes/filemanager.class.php from my v5 backup to the classes/filemanager.class.php in my live v6 store and tried a download link, it worked and brought up the save file dialog in IE and automatically started downloading it in Chrome... Might see if I can try and analyze the two files when I get a chance, unless someone can chime in who might know what is going on. Thanks in advance!

Brandon

That's for the images from what I gather from the big report, however I went ahead and checked though in phpmyadmin and filepath in the table CubeCart_filemanager was set to NULL on everything in there already like it stated.

Brandon

We know that CC6 no longer has the ability to use a "Custom root file path" (CC5 admin, Store Settings, Stock tab). So, when you say "I have and always have had my files stored in a directory below public_html," I think you mean in a directory that is a sibling of public_html. (The folder public_html should be where CubeCart is.)

The string for the custom root file path may still be in the general Config array, put there under CC5, so there is no concern about it getting lost.

The CC6 FileManager won't use it.

Here is a summary of how CC5 did things. Again, CC6 does not use "Custom root file path".

On the other hand, as you discovered, the FileManager class file from CC5 being used instead of the CC6 class file re-enables this capability. But, the CC6 admin setting is still not visible if the custom root file path needs to be changed.

We know that CC6 no longer has the ability to use a "Custom root file path" (CC5 admin, Store Settings, Stock tab). So, when you say "I have and always have had my files stored in a directory below public_html," I think you mean in a directory that is a sibling of public_html. (The folder public_html should be where CubeCart is.)

The string for the custom root file path may still be in the general Config array, put there under CC5, so there is no concern about it getting lost.

The CC6 FileManager won't use it.

Here is a summary of how CC5 did things. Again, CC6 does not use "Custom root file path".

On the other hand, as you discovered, the FileManager class file from CC5 being used instead of the CC6 class file re-enables this capability. But, the CC6 admin setting is still not visible if the custom root file path needs to be changed.

​Thanks for this clarification bsmither!

However, can someone explain why the decision was made to remove the ability to use a custom root file path. In the past we have been strongly advised to use this in order to provide good security for digital downloads. Presumably, in CC6 digital downloads must now be stored in public_html (is this correct?). If this is the case, to me this introduces a security vulnerability not to mention confusion to many CC operators who like me suddenly found their stores no longer functioning post upgrade. Reconfiguring a store with many hundreds of downloads is not something I want to do.

However, it's good to hear that restoring the CC5 class provides a short term fix. How long will this work for I wonder?

Nul Points CC!