Database import question

bobdonkey

Hi all

I have written a routine using MySql and PHP to download and import product lists from my suppliers. It all works fine, and is basically putting items directly into the inventory via transform/staging tables, and populating image_index and category_index tables. It is pretty fast, takes a minute or so to import about 20000 products, I dont want it to take much longer.

My question is, should I have done it this way, or was there a better way using hooks or builtin Cubecart features and functions? I have basically done it all from scratch.

Finally, how can I turn the code that I have written into a plugin? At the moment I just put the php files on my server and run using cron.

Thanks

My question is, should I have done it this way, or was there a better way using hooks or builtin Cubecart features and functions? I have basically done it all from scratch.

Finally, how can I turn the code that I have written into a plugin? At the moment I just put the php files on my server and run using cron.

We have written quite a few similar systems and always write them the same way - what is the benefit of trying to turn it into a plugin unless you are looking to make it into a generalised solution that could be used by different people - that will be a whole different and more complicated system entirely

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Havenswift, sorry didn't see this reply until now.

No I don't need to turn it into a plugin, but it may be useful for others to do so one day.

I might start with a small plugin with some basic functionality and see how it goes.

Thanks