Device specific skin

kab

How can I change the skin of the front-end cart depending on the device? Example, I want a specific skin when someone logs in from a tablet/mobile and a different skin when someone logs in from a PC.

ps: I tried 2 separate installs for mobile and PC but it has a hitch - product images and other external files too need to be stored separately for both installs i.e. I may have to replicate these files manually in both installations :( I can create a link in the /mobile instance, but not sure if that will be possible in a hosting service.

CubeCart 5 (and 6 because 6 is built on top of 5) have the ability to use a separate skin for Desktop versus Mobile. From the Extensions Marketplace, please download and install the Kurouto and Mobile skins, if you do not already have them.

In the Foundation skin's config.xml, please note this XML element: <responsive>true</responsive>. Compare this with a CC5 skin such as Kurouto. Kurouto, if this element is even present, will have the value of 'false'.

CubeCart 6 has additional code over CC5 in that if the skin represents itself as 'Responsive', CC6 will not use a separate skin for a mobile device. If the skin does not represent itself as 'Responsive', CC6 will make available any other skin that represents itself as 'Mobile'.

In Kurouto's config.xml, there is: <mobile>false</mobile>. In the Mobile skin's config.xml, there is: <mobile>true</mobile>.

In CC6, if you have chosen a non-responsive, non-mobile skin for the primary skin, and if there is a mobile skin installed, then in Store Settings, Layout tab, you may choose which of the mobile-declared skins to use when CC6 determines a mobile-device has requested a page.

Be aware that while using a separate mobile skin with your main skin will allow your store to work with moble devices, Google do not consider this a solution and your store will fail the Google mobile friendly test which only considers responsive themes and therefore you will be penalised in the Google mobile rankings

Ian