Upgrade from 5.2.14 to 6.06

Hi,

I was thinking of taking the leap and upgrading my store to V6.0.6 from 5.2.14.  I have a lot of mods and tweaks so here is my question.  Is there anyway I can keep my V5 running while

I tweak and redesign the new V6?  And I mean redesign all my products, product images, everything.  Change the folder where I store the product images, everything.  I've heard about cloning a store.  Is this what I would have to do?  What's the easiest way to accomplish this.  Just don't want any down time on my store being live and looking right.

Thanks for all help,

Claudia

Mostly yes, but some of it, no.

There are significant differences in the CC5216 vs CC606 database. For one, all your displayed currency amounts will show malformed. There are a few other incompatibilities.

But, if you want to COPY your existing database to another database*, then have a fresh install of CC6** upgrade that database, go for it. But the time taken managing CC6 with it's own database, any database activity on the CC5 database will not carry over.

*By copy, this could even be copying the tables to another set of tables within the same database, just with a table prefix. Then, for the upgrade, be sure to edit the global.inc.php file to reflect the presence of that prefix.

**With a fresh install, but a copy of an existing database, you will need to copy over images, modules, languages, skins, and copy/edit the global.inc.php file.

I don't think I'm going thru all that, Brian, I have a tendency of messing things up to much.  LOL.  But thanks for the info.  If I do upgrade to V6 and use my all in one shipping am I going to have to input all my zones and rates again or can I use what I have?  I like the basic Foundation skin that comes with V6 and some of its built in features.  I think I'll just do a basic upgrade and work with the Foundation skin at a slow pace.  That way my store will stay active.

Thanks Brian,

Claudia