Updating to New Versions , Files to backup?

The easiest way to keep skin edits is to copy your current skin folder and rename it, changing the config.xml CDATA name to match your new skin folder name (underscores for spaces). Then you won't lose your edits on upgrading. If skin changes were made by CC, you will have to edit them into your version.

If you have any other edited files and use ftp, just download a copy of those. I have a heavily tweaked and modded site, so I just download everything but the images folder before every upgrade. My skins folder only has the one skin I use in it, not all the stock v5 and v6 ones - same process for plugins, etc. I continually add newly created images to a separately synched images folder.

I also make a copy of my database from within phpMyAdmin - but I'm allowed unlimited number of databases.

Thank you for that advice! I have backup all and then updated to latest cc v6, and now just going to re-add the edits i have done! I have write them 

down this time so next time will go directly to the point and do the edits fast.

Was just thinking that maybe a easier why of doing! but i guess not.

Regards,

B.

• 3 months later...

Upgrading is "whole-cloth" with respect to the files. The contents in the database will remain virtually the same.

So, all the files in the CC608 package will overwrite all the files in the CC606 package. Any file not in both packages will not be overwritten. This includes, but not limited to, the .htaccess file, the globals.inc.php file, and any custom-named skin folder.

CubeCart will determine the state of the database schema, and update the schema as appropriate.