Would like to display random row from database table

Dirty Butter

I have always shown a scripture verse at the bottom of our pages. And I've always wanted some way to randomize, or at least automatically change, which verse was shown, but never felt like I could accomplish that. I still don't know what to do, but just maybe I have reached the point where I could follow someone's directions to accomplish this.

In preparation for any directions I hopefully can follow, I have populated a new CubeCart_scriptures table with 2 rows:

scripture_id index int(11) with autoindex

scripture_verse utf8_unicode_ci text

Right now there are 11 entries in the verse row, but I would hope to add more later.

I'm planning at this point to add whatever code is needed to the ccpower.php file, if that makes sense.

So - am I asking for something difficult, fairly easy to do, or maybe impossible???

I couldn't resist working on this again on my own before giving up and emailing Daren. I was able to search and work out a query that does return a random row.

SELECT * FROM `CubeCart_scriptures` WHERE scripture_id >= (SELECT FLOOR( MAX(scripture_id) * RAND()) FROM `CubeCart_scriptures` ) ORDER BY scripture_id LIMIT 1

But I wasn't able to understand how to then select just the scripture_verse and get it on the page.

The SELECT * is returning all columns of one record in an associated array of an indexed array:

[0] => ['scripture_id' of row 0] = somenumber, and ['scripture_verse' of row 0] = somephrase

So, the query results are being assigned to a variable,such as $scripture_random_record. To display what you want, use the variable this way:
$GLOBALS['smarty'] -> assign('RAND_VERSE', $scripture_random_record[0]['scripture_verse']);

I think I was misleading - the query I came up with did not come from SFWS's code, but from searching the web. I have emailed Daren. Thank you for your help so far. Even my feeble attempts, though unsuccessful, teach me a little, thanks to your patience in explaining how things work.

Edited by Dirty Butter