newsletter

MasterAlek

Odd that you should just now ask that, as I just had sent off an email to my favorite developer to see if he would be interested in making a MailChimp plugin. But there is a way to send newsletters from CC - I've just never done it that way because of server email numbers limitations. I don't know if the change to v6 allows for throttling the newsletter emails or not.

Welcome MasterAlek! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

I haven't created/executed a newsletter campaign, but in admin, Newsletters, Create Newsletter tab, fill out all the form fields. The Send Test Email is provided for you to see what a newsletter email for this campaign looks like. Save the Newsletter.

Back in admin, Newsletters, you should now see the Newsletter you just created. If you click the Send icon, CubeCart will (should) send an email to each customer who has elected to receive said emails.

If your experience in created/sending an email campaign isn't as I described, let us help with finding what's going on.

I do not know about 'automatically', but a few CubeCart users are using MailChimp for their email campaigns. They export the mailing list and give it to MailChimp.

CubeCart does not throttle (at least, I don't think it does) the sending of emails, so you best have an understanding with your hosting provider and/or email service. I think there is a mod for throttling the sending of emails.

I haven't created/executed a newsletter campaign, but in admin, Newsletters, Create Newsletter tab, fill out all the form fields. The Send Test Email is provided for you to see what a newsletter email for this campaign looks like. Save the Newsletter.

Back in admin, Newsletters, you should now see the Newsletter you just created. If you click the Send icon, CubeCart will (should) send an email to each customer who has elected to receive said emails.

If your experience in created/sending an email campaign isn't as I described, let us help with finding what's going on.

I do not know about 'automatically', but a few CubeCart users are using MailChimp for their email campaigns. They export the mailing list and give it to MailChimp.

CubeCart does not throttle (at least, I don't think it does) the sending of emails, so you best have an understanding with your hosting provider and/or email service. I think there is a mod for throttling the sending of emails.

Hmm, I can't seem to see a test or send button anywhere or find the export option

In admin, Newsletters, you should see three tabs across the top: Newsletters, Create Newsletter, and Export Mailing List.

When you click Create Newsletter, you are shown a new set of tabs: General, HTML Content, Plain Text Content, Send Test Email.

That would be in admin, Newsletters, Export Mailing List tab.

The contents for this tab will have you design what data you want in each line item of the list.

This page is very confusing. It will lead you to believe that you use the checkboxes to select what data to include. That is not the case. These checkboxes are only images of checkboxes. The image of the checked checkbox simply indicates that this data item will always be part of the line item in the list. The images of the unchecked checkboxes simply indicate that this data item is optional.

You design the line item format in the top text field. There is a sample provided. (But there is a problem with the sample - due to be fixed in CC607.)

Then just right next to the field is a drop-down to choose the file suffix. Then finally, the Export button. CubeCart will send to your browser that file.

The problem with the sample is:

{$EMAIL_ADDRESS} <{$FULL_NAME_SHORT}>

The friendly name is not inside angles. If there is a friendly name, then the real email address is inside angles.

But there is a way to send newsletters from CC - I've just never done it that way because of server email numbers limitations. I don't know if the change to v6 allows for throttling the newsletter emails or not.

Every shared hosting package will have an email sending limit and these are generally quite low, often 100 to 150 total emails (from all sources for that account) per hour. They are rarely publicised, nor are the consequences of exceeding the limit - which often is silently discarding any emails that are attempted to be sent over the limit.  CubeCart dumps all emails at once into the mail server send queue and there is no built in throttling.

They export the mailing list and give it to MailChimp.

MailChimp is good but above a certain level is a commercial product with a monthly fee. We have had a plugin available for some time that allows you to set the number of emails to be sent in a time period and then the plugin manages the throttled sending until all newsletters have been sent. Details can be seen on our blog post and it can be purchased from here along with some of our other plugins. We have this working on quite a few client's sites sending regular newsletters anywhere between 400 and 35,000 subscribers but there is no upper limit on the number that can be sent.

Ian

You can send 12,000 emails a month to a list of up to 2,000 subscribers with MailChimp's Forever Free plan then there is a monthy fee for anything over that. Beauty of Mailchimp is they handle all the sending of the emails and they are sent very quickly and you are not using your own server resources. If you have a lot of emails to send using a throttled system it can take a long time to send the whole batch because the server will have a limit on the number of emails you can send per hour. So if your email is time sensetive then it might not be the best solution.

I've tried both methods and in my opinion Mailchimp is by far the best system. It also handles subscribing and unsubscribing automatically to keep your list up to date and has many other useful features as well.

MailChimp is a great solution if you are willing to pay for a subscription or you are a small store doing a few emails per month.  Bearing in mind that the accepted best level of engagement for subscribed users is held to be 2 to 3 emails per week so even for a small store, your 12,000 emails per month wouldnt last too long. The free package also has some functionality restrictions although again, for small stores these might not be too important.

Some people prefer to keep all functionality "in house" and some want a free solution at levels above the free package from MailChimp - so people have a choice !

Ian

• 7 years later...
On 7/26/2015 at 10:06 PM, bsmither said: