Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedKite

Google Category List ridiculously long

Does anybody else find a drop-down list with 5,428 items a tad unwieldy?

Not being Amazon, Tesco's or Alibaba I don't need more than a handfull of categories.

I edited a copy of http://www.google.com/basepages/producttype/taxonomy.en-GB.txt

...in my case reducing it from 425 kB to 2kB

and hacked products.index.inc

// ~$request = new Request('www.google.com', '/basepages/producttype/taxonomy.'.$taxonomy_lang.'.txt');
        $request = new Request('www.redkitedesigns.co.uk', '/googlecat.txt');
        // ~

Not a great solution as I have to re-do on upgrade.

Could we have a setting somewhere to get the info from another source, or some other means to limit the list to product categories we might concievable need?

Excellent suggestion! Bsmither helped me make one choice the default for our plush toys. But your idea would be helpful to everyone. Please add this to GitHub.

Dirty,

How did you accomplish a default? I would like to do a similar thing! I sell treasure hunting supplies (no real category for it) but would like to default to the closest thing I have found nearly 3/4 of the way through the list!

"Could we have a setting somewhere"

I believe it's already been suggested to adopt the Celebird App:
http://celebird-cloud.appspot.com/apps/celebird-taxonomy-app.html

I added a link to Celebird on my Product Listing page, and it's a big help on our estates site, where we use many categories.

I would like to see this taken several steps further.

For example, you have no clue where to start. You have a "Steering Wheel". Return all strings that have "Steering Wheel" anywhere in the category.

Should return three selections:

Vehicles & Parts > Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Vehicle Maintenance, Care & Decor > Vehicle Decor > Vehicle Steering Wheel Covers
Vehicles & Parts > Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Vehicle Safety & Security > Vehicle Alarms & Locks > Vehicle Steering Wheel Locks
Vehicles & Parts > Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Watercraft Parts & Accessories > Watercraft Steering Parts > Watercraft Steering Wheels

I eventually ended up creating a series of templates for each different toy Google categories I needed, named appropriately. Now I clone the template that has the correct Google category already selected. Works well with plushcatalog. Still using celebrid link for estates.

On 2/20/2016 at 4:42 PM, bsmither said:

I would like to see this taken several steps further.

For example, you have no clue where to start. You have a "Steering Wheel". Return all strings that have "Steering Wheel" anywhere in the category.

Should return three selections:

Vehicles & Parts > Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Vehicle Maintenance, Care & Decor > Vehicle Decor > Vehicle Steering Wheel Covers
Vehicles & Parts > Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Vehicle Safety & Security > Vehicle Alarms & Locks > Vehicle Steering Wheel Locks
Vehicles & Parts > Vehicle Parts & Accessories > Watercraft Parts & Accessories > Watercraft Steering Parts > Watercraft Steering Wheels

Try typing 'steering wheel' in the box now :)

Some minor styling changes to the suggested listing and we have a winner!