Need help understanding Canada Post Plugin - configuration

browneyedgirl

I'm trying to test my website - I'm a newbie when it comes to website design and need help! After finding out that UPS plugin doesn't work for parcels where location of origin is a Canadian address (doesn't like Canadian Postal code), I turned to Canada Post and installed the free plugin (version 1.02). with Cubecart 6.07.

I have configured my site to use kg and CAD for currency.

I have configured the following fields : merchant ID, origin Postal Code, Handling cost (which I assume will get added on to whatever rate CP sends back), tax type =Standard rate  and all checkboxes under 'Domestic Services" selected ( I'm only selling within Canada).   All other fields have been left blank.

I have tried to checkout an item as a text and noticed that I get the following show up in my request log (with my merchantCPICID changed):

Request Sent - http://sellonline.canadapost.ca/ <eparcel> <language>en</language> <ratesAndServicesRequest> <merchantCPCID>MY_MERCHANT_CPCID</merchantCPCID> <fromPostalCode>K8V 6J4</fromPostalCode> <itemsPrice>15.00</itemsPrice> <lineItems> <item> <quantity>1</quantity> <weight>10</weight> <length></length> <width></width> <height></height> <description>Online Order</description> </item> </lineItems> <city>Trenton</city> <provOrState>Ontario</provOrState> <country>CA</country> <postalCode>K8V 6J4</postalCode> </ratesAndServicesRequest> </eparcel>
Response received <?xml version="1.0" ?> <!DOCTYPE eparcel [ <!ELEMENT eparcel (error)> <!ELEMENT error (statusCode,statusMessage*, requestID)> <!ELEMENT statusCode (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT statusMessage (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT requestID (#PCDATA)> ]> <eparcel> <error> <statusCode>-5000</statusCode> <statusMessage>XML parsing error. </statusMessage> <requestID>1906994</requestID> </error> </eparcel> <!--END_OF_EPARCEL-->

I need help troubleshooting this response.  Is it because I do not have anything entered for dimensions?  - The weight was autofilled based on the product configuration.  However, I looked at product configuration tabs and there is no option to add in product dimensions.  I have multiple product of different dimensions, so i'm not sure what I would put in the plugin configuration? Does CP plugin need dimensions in order to give a valid quote?

Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated!

There is a note about an XML Parsing Error, which I will blame on not having values for the length, width, and height.

It is common to have products of varying dimensions, so I would believe the postal carrier is just making sure no one side is longer than some sort of limit, and the girth (L+W+H) does not exceed some sort of limit.

I suggest you take an average of the dimensions of your inventory - a best guess - and assume the majority of your boxes will be something reasonable: 40cm by 40cm x 60cm?