Best way to save modified files before Upgrading?

djcaseanova

What's the best way to save modified files when upgrading? For instance, every time I upgrade I am finding at least a handful of files I have to go back in and re-code to get my store back up and running the way I want. Most are admin dashboard/order features. I see there is never any change logs available showing what files have been edited, but I would assume that if the file has been overwritten then it had a change to it.

How can I go about making the code changes as seemless as possible???

Thanks!!

"I would assume that if the file has been overwritten then it had a change to it."

That assumption is incorrect.

CubeCart (as opposed to, say, Wordpress or phpBB forums) has a "whole-cloth" update paradigm (except the database).

Every core file in CubeCart gets overwritten.

"How can I go about making the code changes as seamless as possible???"

As seamless as possible would require that you first become very skilled at using a "version control system" - probably GIT. Then have your installation (or, at least, the development copy on your local workstation) be tied into the CubeCart GITHUB repository.

When a 'milestone' is released, your installation will 'merge' from the repository only those files that were changed from the last milestone.

If any existing file is in 'conflict' with the merging file, the merge process will offer you to compare the two files where you can incorporate what's changed into the other. And this can be automated.

Going seamless requires a fair bit of preparation.

We do wish the CubeCart upgrade process were 'intelligent'.