Affiliate Plugin advice needed

Mike MacKechnie

Call out to anyone who has installed and is using any of the affiliate plugins. I'm new to this particular area.

I have been asked by my client to install an affiliate plugin so that click-throughs from an external site that result in certain products being purchased will result in a commission payment to the originating site.

Sounds fair enough, I thought, so I installed the iDevAffiliate plug in,since it seems to be the most popular.

so... autoinstall using the generated token, enable it in the Admin Panel and refresh the cache...... then what?

I can't find any instructions on how to configure it. The "edit" link on the Manage Plugins takes me to a very thin page where I can set the status and how to log the commission; there's a mysterious field called "URL to iDevAffiliate" to complete, but no other config options.

What's the deal? Do I have to sign up with idevdirect to go further? Are there any configuration instructions out there? 

Are there any other plugins that might be better for what I need?

Any advice gratefully received.

Postscript: I guess that this is related to post https://forums.cubecart.com/topic/35588-affiliate-tracking-self-contained-in-cart/ but that post degenerated into a bit of a rant about email marketing, which I can assure you I'm not in the slightest bit interested in.  

Post-Postscript: Have I got the wrong idea about affiliate plugins? I took a look at another one from Aflite, which in terms of installation looks almost the same, and tells you to sign up with them.

I'm getting the impression that these plugins are geared around the external company, idevdirect or Aflite, to do the affiliate tracking rather than what I want, which is a tracking mechanism with in CCV6 itself.   

I'm getting the impression that these plugins are geared around the external company, idevdirect or Aflite, to do the affiliate tracking rather than what I want, which is a tracking mechanism with in CCV6 itself.   

That is exactly what these modules do and I dont believe there is anything to track the same in the way you want it to do.  If you are interested in having something written to your soecification, drop me a PM

Ian