CMS/Articles Front End

GPSE107

Easiest way to explain what we want is to show what we have.  wot-tech.com is our CMS, but it would be great to have articles within cubecart itself so the store will be the root folder vs /shop.  Perhaps just having the ability to have products without pricing would be enough but I am just guessing. 

Welcome GPSE107! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

The trick I use is to make a category look like an Informational Page (as opposed to the standard "About Us", "Terms and Conditions", etc).

The category template will need to have the phrase, "No products found" removed, but CC6 offers a Category Description which can be as elaborate as necessary.

Thus, in the "Shop by Category" box (the phrase may need to be tweaked), I can have categories and info pages intermixed.

Look at www.meridiansjaom.com for an example.

We used to do the categories thing but it just didn't flow as nice as having articles with product properties instead.  We also have a lot of articles to deal with so categories of their own are necessary. I don't know if the plugin to put them in multiple areas will do us much good.  Site docs would be a huge massive mess of a section without categories. 

We want to put articles in the sections of the site that they correspond to.  A main article area for all articles, and then if you click on 60V6 areas of the site, an articles area in there will have the 60V6 related articles.  Yes, subcategories of articles as well.  These will also make great setups to put customer projects and a picture gallery.  That is my thinking on this anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The ability to remove prices seems to be a different objective than what's been discussed so far.

Removing product prices can be accomplished by a few simple edits to the appropriate skin files. Edited a different way, suppressing prices can follow the setting in admin, Store Settings, Features tab, "Disable Checkout (Catalogue Mode Only)".

That seems to edit every product though, correct?  I don't want to remove the price from our products.  I want to remove the price from articles.  If you are tellling me a skin change can decipher between products and articles, I am missing that important detail.

"Anyone willing to take this on?  The ability to remove the price from a product listing...."

"I don't want to remove the price from our products.  I want to remove the price from articles."

A skin change can decipher between products and "articles", just as it can between products and categories.

I think we have not yet nailed down what an "article" page will exactly show.

http://wot-tech.com/index.php?page=60V6-Main-Page

The links on the left are the articles under the 60V6 group.  We need all of these on Cubecart.  The article could be made as a product, and then remove the price from the store. I would imagine the price would become another variable as well and if the box is checked, the price is not displayed and you cannot purchase it.  

Take the admin panel, general, "available for purchase".  I want a copy of that, called "Article?" and don't say unavailable on the listing, plus delete the output to the price.  For what its worth, we can make that check box do what we need if we knew how to modify the code for it..

I looked up your IP address and I can get to your store that way.

Ok, so "Available for Purchase" being used as a "flag" for this product, and only such flagged products, to suppress displaying anything that would give impression that this item can be purchased.

Keep in mind that "Available for Purchase" is relatively new, so I want to double check on where such a product may show up: such as the product listing in a category or search results.

I am thinking, though, making documents that associate with a product/category is the better solution, as opposed to making products behave like documents.

• 9 months later...
On 10/17/2015 at 0:39 PM, bsmither said:

Welcome GPSE107! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

The trick I use is to make a category look like an Informational Page (as opposed to the standard "About Us", "Terms and Conditions", etc).

The category template will need to have the phrase, "No products found" removed, but CC6 offers a Category Description which can be as elaborate as necessary.

Thus, in the "Shop by Category" box (the phrase may need to be tweaked), I can have categories and info pages intermixed.

Look at www.meridiansjaom.com for an example.

I really like this feature--thank you. I'm testing the waters after trying to maintain a heavily modified osCommerce, and so far, I really like CubeCart.