Speedup V3 upgrade

keat

I was toying with V6 a while back, but ran out of time and enthusiasm (that's what happens when working in your own time i guess).

I would still like to upgrade our main site to V6, but it's too big of a risk, so I'm considering maybe upgrading one of my lesser sites.

The lesser site is sitting on a different server to the one where i'd like to play with V6, which means that i could just change the name servers leaving the original site intact should i need to go back.

So i'm wondering, is there an easy way to upgrade to V6 without having to install V3. I really don't want to have to input the inventory again.

Could i copy the database from one server, restore this to the new server and just install V6

I have done something similar recently. If you want to test it first you could install the V3 version you are currently running onto a seperate server, copy over your database and images folder then install V6 following the instructions at https://support.cubecart.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/231/43/how-do-i-upgrade-from-cubecart-v3-to-v6. This will give you a good idea of what you will end up with and highlight any problems that may occur.

"Could i copy the database from one server, restore this to the new server and just install V6"

You can copy the database to another server - that will work fine. You will need to know the host, database name, username, and password assigned to that new database when finally stable on the new server.

Also copy over the CC3 image folder and images. Also CC3's globals.inc.php having updated the values there to reflect the new server web address and database server.

"Could i copy the database from one server, restore this to the new server and just install V6"

You can copy the database to another server - that will work fine. You will need to know the host, database name, username, and password assigned to that new database when finally stable on the new server.

It often needs more than this as you will almost always gave to give permission for external connections to your database and the hosting company should also have external access to the MySQL port locked down and so will need to configure the server firewall to allow access for the IP address you will be connecting from which in this case will be the server where your V6 installation will be

Ian

My plan would be to create a new database instance on my new server.

Export the tables from the old database and import them in to the new database.

What i want to avoid doing is migrating a whole V3 site and spending days getting it working.

There are PHP differences between the two servers, so i don't want to set about fixing ereg issues etc.