Bulk removal of selected customer accounts

QuotesUK

How do I (safely) remove customer accounts?

I have a store with 4000 customer accounts. Many customers registered but did not place an order. Some only ordered once. A few ordered several times.

It is good practice to remove customer data that is no longer needed but it appears that CubeCart does not have a tool for this.

What I would like to do:

- remove all customer accounts that did not place an order

- remove all customer accounts that placed only one order but excluding those from the last two months

Suggestions?

Four thousand customers will make no impact on the database. That is a non-issue.

The number of pages you may have to paginate through to find the one customer that sparked your interest may be tedious, but the column sorters should ease that burden.

You can show entire list, sort by the number of orders, then massively uncheck their status. Then, a simple code edit to default the display order from Date Registered (I think) to Status with then Registered (so that the disabled fall to the end of the list).

This is just a pro-active initiative to remove obsolete customer records, so that if the store is ever hacked we have 200 upset people rather than 4000.

If I had to go through 150 pages one at a time that would be tedious but possible. However there isn’t a “select all” option at the bottom of the page.

There is the possibility of using a MySQL admin tool to sort by order count and delete rows in bulk but I would imagine this could create problems with order linking.

The pagination does not look like this? [1] 2 3 > View All

When CubeCart deletes a customer, the customer's AddressBook records are deleted, membership in Customer Groups is deleted, and subscription to the Newsletter is deleted. However, if the customer has placed at least one order, then the deletion is denied.

It should be somewhat easy to implement a "With Selected: Action" feature similar to Product Reviews or Orders.

On the other hand, how often would an admin need to purge the Customer list?

I think that purging obsolete records should be a routine task for everyone. Unfortunately e-commerce culture encourages hoarding of data so I can appreciate it isn’t going to be top of the agenda for many people. In earlier versions of CubeCart I used to purge my customer records every six months or so using MySQL.

Well done - the check/uncheck all feature at the bottom of the orders page is exactly what would achieve this.

As far as the limitation on removal of customers with at least one order, presumably all that needs to happen is some purging of the orders records beforehand.

And deleting orders involves a myriad of related deletions elsewhere. Just FYI.

Send me a PM with your email address and we can start implementing the "With Selected" feature on the Customers List.

What about the pagination links? Are you truly missing the View All part?

In the admin area, when I go to the customer list, the footer pagination says [1] 2 3 > … 158 View All

A side issue is that the list of orders page doesn't tell you the total number of orders by that customer. That would be handy to have for this task because If (say) someone has placed 5 or 6 orders I wouldn't want to remove their order history. However I can sort by customer name, so there is a way forward with that.

Thank you for offering to help - I have sent you a pm

"the list of orders page doesn't tell you the total number of orders by that customer"

No, but the Customers List does. The link for the order count gives:

admin.php?_g=orders&customer_id=5

So, there is a way to get the list of orders specific to a customer.

(assuming the customer select all feature is added)

If the customer has 0 orders then they can be removed via the customer list

If the customer has >0 orders then they can't be removed via the customer list, because their order history need to be removed first

On the orders page you can't see a count of their orders, so you can't sort by it. This means that you can't identify whether any particular order belongs to a customer with a 1-order history or a 6-order history. So if I wanted to remove all the orders for customers with just a 1-order history I can't see which orders those are.

However, on the orders page if I sort by customer name, you can visually locate customers with more than one order because they will be grouped together. This makes it possible to cherry pick those with a 1-order history. The issue is that you can't paginate on this basis, making the general "check-all on page" ineffective.