The requested URL /store/categoryxxx/cat_5.html was not found on this server

DianaD

Hello,

My store was off line for a while, but today when I have activated the shop only the home page appears to be working. All other pages like categories or links to products do not work. 

whenever I try to click on product -  the new window opens up with the following message:

Not Found

The requested URL /store/landscape/cat_5.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at store.dianadavydova.co.uk Port 80

Could you advise please what has happened as everything was working fine before and I didn't change any settings?

Many thanks in advance

Diana

Welcome DianaD! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

What probably happened is that your hosting provider switched you to another server, but failed to enable that web server's ability to rewrite URLs.

CubeCart 5 has the option to use "search engine friendly" URLs.
CubeCart 6 requires "search engine friendly" URLs.

A friendly URL takes the form of /store/name-of-parent-cat/name-of-subcat/name-of-product.html

Sometimes /store/ causes confusion.

The latest version of CubeCart 6 consistently checks for the presence of an .htaccess file in the main CubeCart folder and will put a standard file there if one is not found.

So, make sure that:

* an .htaccess file is in the main CubeCart folder
* the contents of the .htaccess file has a directive that has:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteBase /store

followed by a series of rewrite rules
* the web server (Apache?) is configured to use a URL rewrite module.

Without the URL Rewrite capability, CubeCart 6 will not operate correctly.

Hello BS Mither,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

following your instructions I couldn't locate the .htaccess file in the mail store cube cart folder, so I thought maybe it was not there it the first place.

I have created a new htaccess.txt based on the instructions on the image attached, it is from my cube cart admin access store settings.

the code is as shown below, and it does not have 

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteBase /store

as you suggested.

## Activate the mod_rewrite Engine

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (.*)$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule cat_([0-9]+)(\.[a-z]{3,4})?(.*)$    index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=$1&%1 [NC]

RewriteRule prod_([0-9]+)(\.[a-z]{3,4})?$        index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=$1&%1 [NC]

RewriteRule info_([0-9]+)(\.[a-z]{3,4})?$        index.php?_a=viewDoc&docId=$1&%1 [NC]

RewriteRule tell_([0-9]+)(\.[a-z]{3,4})?$        index.php?_a=tellafriend&productId=$1&%1 [NC]

RewriteRule _saleItems(\.[a-z]+)?(\?.*)?$        index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=saleItems&%1 [NC,L]

as soon as  have uploaded the above to the server, to the main folder, and changed the file name from htaccess.txt to .htaccess this file has disappeared. Is it normal? is this file now the part of the code somewhere?

maybe I am looking in the wrong place... i have attached a list of folders on my server.

Thank you, Diana

cube cart instructions.JPG

store folders kept at the server.JPG

Ok, new info---

This is CubeCart 4 - which is not a problem - but the solution will be somewhat different.

The image above looks like you are using FireFTP. In FireFTP's Tools, Options, General tab, make sure Show Hidden Files is enabled. Any file/folder that starts with a period is, by definition, 'hidden'.

The admin function to install the .htaccess file will work, but before you install it, add the RewriteBase directive.

Next, download the latest version of CubeCart 4 from the CubeCart website downloads page. Replace just the index.php and admin.php files. The files you have now are using the licensure check. The licensing servers are due to be switched off shortly.

Finally, we still need to be sure about what web server your hosting account is using and whether the server admins have enabled URL rewriting.