Newbie. Need help with ebook sales setup.

jo1831

Hello,

I am very new to Cubecart. I have ebooks to sell though would prefer to set up each title with a dropdown menu for format choice (eg.g, epun, mobi or even hardcopy). Need some assistance to do this. Need each choice to provide a separate link (via email) that will download the correct format.

Also I have noticed that many Cubecart users have the cart/checkout opening as one of their webpages. Please point me to some guidance to set this up.

Hi Jo

What you are looking to do is create a download format options group (which is certainly possible) and then assign a digital download file path to each option, which is currently not possible.  There used to be a commercial third party mod available to do this for CubeCart V4 but I am not aware of any plugin for V5/V6 that provides the same functionality

Ian

Welcome jo1831! Glad to see you made it to the forum.

You want to sell digital items - but have a need to discriminate as to the available formats of the item.

I don't have a solution (I can envision one easily enough), but I am curious about something.

I would like to know your thoughts on why you deem it important in making a digital item available to the purchaser in only that one format (from several available) that was chosen at the time of purchase?

Hello bsmither.
Thanks for you reply.:)
Hope I understood your question. If someone has a Kindle and wants a mobi (ebook) then I'd like the buyer to be able to select mobi as the format required, then purchase and receive a mobi via link. A Kindle reader would specifically want a mobi, not an epub. Non-Kindle users would want an epub but not a mobi.

How can I be sure to make available the format the purchaser wants?

I was asking why it is important to you to make each format a distinct download. I realize this is (probably) done several places, and I would ask those vendors that same question.

Maybe I should have framed the question better.

You replied, "If someone has a Kindle..."

A better framing of the question is, why would you not just bundle all the formats you provide into one ZIP archive?

Would the resulting filesize be prohibitive?

Does a Kindle not have the capability to extract from an archive the format it knows how to display?

Do you pay royalties to the format developer for each file produced in that format? That is, a multiple royalty cost to provide mobi, epub, pdf, azw, etc., together in one purchase?

(An optional added-cost hard-copy in addition to the digital file is easy enough for CubeCart.)

Thank you Ian and ayz1. I'll just do each format as an individual product then. A shame that functionality was dropped.

bsmither: I really think that the general ebook buyers/readers would not want the hassle of downloading zip files, extracting and then accessing the format required. Plus they end up with a whole bunch of unwanted files. Yes the file-size for all formats could be a problem - many people (myself included) wouldn't be happy to download files they don't want while using up their available data. I have never seen an ebook seller bundle the formats and I expect there is good reason for this.

No, I don't pay royalties to the format producer/s. I don't pay royalties to developers of .pdf, .doc, html either. I've never heard of having to pay royalties for creating and selling ebook formats though would like to know if you know different please.

I have one more question: (and I have searched but maybe don't understand). How do I link the Buy epub (for example) on my website to the epub product in Cubecart?

Thanks all,

Jo.

A link to a product in a CC6 store would be exactly what you see in the address bar when you are looking at the product.

On the other hand, if you are asking for a means of instructing CubeCart to place an item (seen elsewhere) into a shopping basket, so that when the customer eventually arrives at the store, the shopping basket already contains the item, then that would be moderately tricky, as CubeCart really wants to keep things straight with a cookie.

• 2 months later...

Need to ask a couple more questions please.

I have set up the ebooks with a digital link to the folder containing the ebooks.
Will an email automatically be generated to the buyer containing a link to the ebook?

Also, and feeling a tad stupid over this query: How do I add my own website template to my Cubecart so it appears to be on my own site?

I think I am about ready to go once I have these answers :P

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ebook: Yes and no.

The purchase of a digital item will cause CubeCart to send an email with a link.

The link will be a specially crafted link that contains an accesscode. CubeCart keeps a log of accesscodes so that when a link with an accesscode is received, and after several checks, CubeCart will deliver the file. At no time will the customer have a link that directly points to the digital file.

"your own site": easy and hard.

It is incredibly easy to install a "skin" (aka "theme") into CubeCart.

It is tedious to create a skin. There are dozens of components (called 'templates') that show a wide variety of things: products, site documents, categories, login form, account settings, checkout sequences, and a dozen other things. If you have an idea for a skin/theme, or already have layout and images, etc for some other part of your site, and once that theme has been embossed onto pages that CubeCart delivers, then the next step is to convert the HTML for lists and dynamic data into the given "template language".

It is easiest to accept the given layout, but apply the color palette and imagery that can be seen elsewhere on your site.