Upgrading V4.3 to V6

cherylb

hi - due to the approaching december deadline i'm about to attempt a v4 to v6 upgrade with some trepidation

an extract of the upgrade instructions say:-

1. Take a FULL backup of your existing files and database and check that it is complete. This is critical in case the upgrade process fails or there is an error.

2. Please delete all existing folders and files excluding;
     images/ 
    includes/global.inc.php

3. Download and extract the latest version of CubeCart v6 and upload the entire contents of this folder over the remaining files  replacing all existing ones.

edit: please excuse my original question.

what is confusing me is instruction 3) above ie if images/  & includes/global.inc.php are the only two remaining will they not be over written?

many thanks

Edited by cherylb

No - not overwritten.

The /images/ folder has several sub-folders, one of which is /source/ (or /upload/ renamed to /source/ during the upgrade process). All these folders have files in them. When an operating system wants to overwrite what is already existing, folders will be added into, not completely replaced. That is, the operating system will not replace a full /images/ folder with an empty folder. If there is a same-named file, that file will get overwritten. If the incoming folder does not have a same-named file to overwrite an existing file, the existing file will not be deleted.

Thus, your store's product images and the global.inc.php will not be deleted -- and you must not delete them yourself. The installation package does not have a globals.inc.php - that file is created/updated during install. The upgrade process uses the existing global.inc.php to know how to communicate to the database.

hi - due to the approaching december deadline i'm about to attempt a v4 to v6 upgrade with some trepidation

an extract of the upgrade instructions say:-

Rather than rush this, why not simply replace the admin.php file from the 4.4.8 release ?

It is much better to follow the instructions exactly as they are printed as they are always the best way to do things.  If nothing else, following the instructions ensures all files that are not used are deleted.

Ian