Upgrading 5.2 to 6.0.10 getting 500 error msg during install.

Hello - I'm hoping someone might have a possible solution.  

I have a site that I'm attempting to upgrade to the newest CC v6
The site has been upgraded in the past -- it started out as ver3 I believe all the way up to where it is now at ver 5.1.5

I followed instructions by uploading the files from the ver6 package over the existing files/folders.  It gets about 75% thru the setup and then throws this message.

Warning: mysqli::mysqli() [mysqli.mysqli]: (HY000/2005): Unknown MySQL server host 'localhost:/tmp/mysql5.sock' (1) in /homepages/2/d107205780/htdocs/geekhostess/badass-supplements/classes/db/mysqli.class.php on line 30

Warning: mysqli_options() [function.mysqli-options]: Couldn't fetch mysqli in /homepages/2/d107205780/htdocs/geekhostess/badass-supplements/classes/db/mysqli.class.php on line 32

Fatal error: Unknown MySQL server host 'localhost:/tmp/mysql5.sock' (1) in /homepages/2/d107205780/htdocs/geekhostess/badass-supplements/classes/db/mysqli.class.php on line 35

I looked in this file & 2 out of 3 of these lines are blanks.
After these error - I delete the site files & upload my backup & restore the database and the site works fine. 

The database tables are named "cc5-name-of-table"  in case that matters for this upgrade

Question #2..
after a successful upgrade I need to switch the php setting to use php ver 5.5.  Hope this CC6 ver works with php 5.5? 

If I try to switch to php ver 5.5 now (with CC ver 5) the site goes blank.  
Instead of upgrade is there a way to force this CC ver to work with php 5.5?

Lots of questions - any suggestions as to what is the best direction to attack this is appreciated.  

Thanks in advance
- Claire

"I looked in this file & 2 out of 3 of these lines are blanks."

I have relevant code on lines 30, 32, and 35.

CC6 will work with PHP5.5.

I can only guess that your hosted environment may not like how much database activity was happening during the database upgrade. I do not know for sure.

"If I try to switch to php ver 5.5 now (with CC ver 5) the site goes blank. "

Please let us know if you have any third-party modules that use ionCube. If so, there will be difficulties.

The ionCube decoder has versions that supposedly match the version the encoded file was encoded for with the version of PHP it is running under. That is to say, for example, if script.php was encoded with ionCube-v2, you will need to have the server be installed with the ionCube decoder for PHP 5.5 that can decode ionCube-v2 files. It gets somewhat tricky.

If you haven't already, please download the latest package of the CC5 family. From that package, upload and replace only these files: admin.php and index.php. This will bypass using the ionCube encoded files that perform the licensure checks.

The latest versions of V4 (with one small proviso regarding the choice of anti spambot / reCaptcha), V5 and V6 will run on php 5.6.X

Brian's comments regarding running ionCube encoded files that were encoded with an earlier and incompatible version are true and can cause some issues with plugins / mods although it is simply a case of getting new copies of these files encoded with the correct ionCube version

Ian

"If I try to switch to php ver 5.5 now (with CC ver 5) the site goes blank. "

Please let us know if you have any third-party modules that use ionCube. If so, there will be difficulties.

I have ioncube - but not sure if I have third party mods active anymore. It doesn't look like there's any 3rd party mods anymore.  However, I just renamed the ioncube folder /disabled it - then tried opening the site and got this message.  So the site needs ioncube.

Site error: the file /homepages/2/d107205780/htdocs/geekhostess/badass-supplements/index_enc_ion.php requires the ionCube PHP Loader ioncube_loader_lin_5.2.so to be installed by the site administrator.

The ionCube decoder has versions that supposedly match the version the encoded file was encoded for with the version of PHP it is running under. That is to say, for example, if script.php was encoded with ionCube-v2, you will need to have the server be installed with the ionCube decoder for PHP 5.5 that can decode ionCube-v2 files. It gets somewhat tricky.

If you haven't already, please download the latest package of the CC5 family. From that package, upload and replace only these files: admin.php and index.php. This will bypass using the ionCube encoded files that perform the licensure checks.

should I upgrade to the newest ver 5 first?  if that works then try to go to 6?
If not - are you referring to the admin & index files that reside in the root folder?

Thank you for the reply!

I just replaced the admin & index in the root folder from the newest ver5.  
then hid the ioncube folder & the site is still working.  
next I changed the php setting in my server control panel to php 5.5 & the site is still working.  

I guess I can try to upgrade to ver 6 now?

I'll follow up - thank you for your help!  :D

We can hope. Although, the errors reported during the last attempt certainly suggested that the database server (or some sort of "shared hosting throttle") deemed the connection too aggressive -- or something along those lines -- and cut you off.

Upgrading to CC5217 before attempting CC6 might not give you any better likelihood of success.

We can hope. Although, the errors reported during the last attempt certainly suggested that the database server (or some sort of "shared hosting throttle") deemed the connection too aggressive -- or something along those lines -- and cut you off.

Upgrading to CC5217 before attempting CC6 might not give you any better likelihood of success.

I'm not going to try upgrade to ver6 till at least tmwr.  I'll report back either way to update on how it works or doesnt work

now I see this message in the top of the admin panel.  not sure if I can correct that?  or hoping a successful upgrade will fix.  

Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /homepages/2/d107205780/htdocs/geekhostess/badass-supplements/classes/db/mysql.class.php on line 24