Blank Page Upgrading 6.0.8 to 6.0.10

I am having some issues upgrading from 6.0.8 to 6.0.10.  The automatic upgrade from the admin does not work, so I tried to do a manual upgrade. After I uploaded the files to my server, I navigated to the setup directory and went through that process.  There were no incompatibility warnings or anything of that nature. Once the upgrade was complete I could successfully navigate to the admin, but the front end of my site just loaded a blank page. The error logs in the admin didn't show anything. I tried enabling ini_set('display_errors') to true in the debug.class but it still didn't give me anything.  I have upgraded this site several times successfully (manual and automatic), but I am at a bit of a loss as to what is causing the issue with this particular upgrade.

Please do these things:

In admin, Store Settings, Advanced tab, enable Debug mode and enter your IP address (www.whatismyip.com)
In your hosting control panel, find where PHP's error log is and see if any entries are in it.

If the problem is with a skin, then when the Debug class is shutting down, it will echo out some diagnostic data. If the problem is with PHP code, then the Debug class may not have the opportunity to echo out anything.

If you can't find the current PHP error_log, we can create a file that will instruct PHP to start logging to a file in the main CubeCart folder.

Please create a file called ini-custom.inc.php, and have as its contents:

<?php
# Custom initialization commands
# Filename: ini-custom.inc.php
# File location: main CubeCart folder

ini_set('memory_limit', '256M');
ini_set('max_execution_time', '60');
ini_set('error_log', 'error_log');
ini_set('log_errors', 'on');

?>

Place this file in CubeCart's main folder.

I've upgraded a V3 copy to 6.10 and although i can open the admin pages, i can't open the store front.

Does this mean anything

[02-Feb-2016 12:16:18 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function mb_strtolower() in /home/demosite/public_html/classes/seo.class.php on line 979

edit:

I'm just adding MBString feature to PHP, will report back when this has finished.

Fixed it.

On 1/28/2016 at 3:06 PM, bsmither said:

Please do these things:

In admin, Store Settings, Advanced tab, enable Debug mode and enter your IP address (www.whatismyip.com)
In your hosting control panel, find where PHP's error log is and see if any entries are in it.

If the problem is with a skin, then when the Debug class is shutting down, it will echo out some diagnostic data. If the problem is with PHP code, then the Debug class may not have the opportunity to echo out anything.

If you can't find the current PHP error_log, we can create a file that will instruct PHP to start logging to a file in the main CubeCart folder.

Please create a file called ini-custom.inc.php, and have as its contents:

<?php
# Custom initialization commands
# Filename: ini-custom.inc.php
# File location: main CubeCart folder

ini_set('memory_limit', '256M');
ini_set('max_execution_time', '60');
ini_set('error_log', 'error_log');
ini_set('log_errors', 'on');

?>

Place this file in CubeCart's main folder.

I didn't see anything in my PHP error log.  I created the ini-custom.inc.php file, where should the errors be logged after that?  I still don't see anything in the admin error log or system error log in the backend.  

The debug info that loads on the homepage gives a PHP notice:

PHP:
[Notice] /home/xxxx/public_html/includes/extra/snippet_2455dee731619a684500a048eed160f0.php:1 - Undefined index: M468Q[Notice] /home/xxxx/public_html/includes/extra/snippet_f3c746a82761771ab3a52e3a6934dcb5.php:1 - Undefined index: wYR8G

Please visit admin, Manage Hooks, Code Snippets tab, and delete any snippet you do not recognize.

You may need to have someone go through your site to find and delete any file that is not supposed to be there.

After creating the ini-custom.inc.php file, there will (should) be a file named error_log in CubeCart's main folder.

I had already removed the injected directory awhile back.  I didn't realize there were code snippets there and I will delete.

Thanks... here's the error log, these 2 errors are repeated a few times.

[08-Feb-2016 18:12:53] PHP Notice:  Undefined property: Smarty::$ext in /home/xxxxx.com/public_html/includes/lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php on line 1681
[08-Feb-2016 18:12:53] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function decodeProperties() on a non-object in /home/xxxxx.com/public_html/cache/skin/316ed78578f5d5600458e5a52e7ac4d89ec232b7_0.string.php on line 5

Please find this file:
/cache/skin/316ed78578f5d5600458e5a52e7ac4d89ec232b7_0.string
and open in an editor.

We would like to see what the bottom 10 lines of code look like.

The file that starts with '316' may not be listed in an obvious alpha-numerical order, so you may have to scan carefully through the list of files.

5 minutes ago, bsmither said:

Please find this file:
/cache/skin/316ed78578f5d5600458e5a52e7ac4d89ec232b7_0.string
and open in an editor.

We would like to see what the bottom 10 lines of code look like.

The file that starts with '316' may not be listed in an obvious alpha-numerical order, so you may have to scan carefully through the list of files.

I took a screenshot of it for you.  It is attached.  Thanks.

Untitled-3.png

• 1 month later...

CubeCart 6010 ships with Smarty version 3.1.29. In the image, I see this "Copyright" entry in Store Settings was compiled using Smarty 3.1.25.

Please examine the file /includes/lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php, near line 121. There should be a statement that defines the version of Smarty on your system.

If you have, in fact, Smarty 3.1.29, then I recommend you manually delete all files in the /cache/skin/ folder.

smarty.class.php is actually version 3.1.25.  Is there something in the file/database backup, automatic upgrade features in the admin that could be causing my problem?  The reason I'm asking is I just backed files and db up using the admin interface, tried the auto update (got a 500 error) and then the site would not load (blank screen on homepage/admin not found).  I tried emptying the cache but the site still would not load until I re-uploaded everything in my file backup I created earlier today.  I think something in the backup/auto update might have been breaking the site before the update to 6.0.10 even occurred.  

The auto-update giving a 500 ISE may be related to running out of memory and/or time. CubeCart's backup process, prior to upgrade, should not have included the /cache/ folder nor the /images/cache/ folder, and CubeCart should have emptied these folders prior to replacing the core CubeCart files during the actual upgrade attempt anyway.

"blank screen on homepage/admin not found"

The error_log should show any errors that would cause the blank homepage, and CC6010 removed the ability to get to the admin via www.store.com/admin/. Instead, you get a 404 Not Found error. You must now get to admin via www.store.com/admin.php where admin could be a privately known filename.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still having this issue after trying the 6.0.11 upgrade as well.  I'm not showing anything in the error log that is related. I have debugging enabled and it says no php errors. I tried a Cubecart supplied skin just to make sure there wasn't some issue with my custom skin, that didn't work. The smarty error I was getting was related to the cache being outdated after I re-uploaded the backup.  It wasn't related to the upgrade.  Does anyone else have any ideas on how to fix this?