[Resolved] Removal of Featured Product?

ddub

I'd like to remove the featured product.

I found this older thread.

not sure if this is still applicable as they want a static featured product, but when I enter

[email protected] changed to my website, [email protected]

the iz from biz is removed. 

I believe i am on the latest version of cubecart.  Sorry, I couldn't find the version listed.

I am using the default skin.

But at the end of the day, what I want is to remove entirely the "featured product".  Thank you.

Not generally known about constructing a code snippet is that the Unique ID is limited to 32 characters. Yours is 34. The text entry field does not limit you, it is the size of the database column that holds this value.

It is suggested to use an email address because that almost guarantees a unique value. Use whatever you think will be unique.

A simple edit to the skin and the Featured box is gone. For Foundation, in the skin template main.php:

Find:

{include file='templates/box.featured.php'}

Change to:

{* include file='templates/box.featured.php' *}

bsmither,

Extremely new user so forgive my ignorance. 

I cannot find main.php anywhere within the cubcart program.  I did find that I am on 6.0.9

CubeCart is provided by my web host.

So, I went into my Web Providers "file management" area and found "public html", "skins", "foundation" "templates" and found main.php.

First I am a bit nervous about making changes there, but second it doesn't allow me to. 

Is this the correct area?  Second do I need to use my FTP program and somehow change the file that way?

Windows 7 pro for what it is worth.

Thank you

Your hosting control panel (Cpanel?) has a tool to let you explore the files and folders of your site. You found the correct file.

Somewhere on the menu bar of the file explorer tool, you should find a "Edit this file" or something similar. Perhaps a 'right-click' to bring up a context menu has the "Edit" command in it. (I'm not an expert at Cpanel, but the last time I looked at one, that's what I was able to do -- choose "Edit" when the file I wanted to edit was highlighted.

As an alternate method, you can certainly use FTP to bring the file to your workstation, make the edit, then FTP it back.

Also, you should know that CubeCart makes a rendered version of the templates and caches that version. Then, the task of populating the cached, rendered template goes much faster. That means, after you make an edit to the template, you need to tell CubeCart to dump the cache (admin, Maintenance, Rebuild tab, Clear cache).

• 1 month later...
On 31/1/2016 at 4:54 AM, bsmither said:

Not generally known about constructing a code snippet is that the Unique ID is limited to 32 characters. Yours is 34. The text entry field does not limit you, it is the size of the database column that holds this value.

It is suggested to use an email address because that almost guarantees a unique value. Use whatever you think will be unique.

A simple edit to the skin and the Featured box is gone. For Foundation, in the skin template main.php:

Find:

{include file='templates/box.featured.php'}

Change to:

{* include file='templates/box.featured.php' *}

Worked for me. Cheers!