Still threatening

keat

For over 12 months i've been threatening to upgrade to V6.

The issue i have, is we have a very busy live site on V3, there's no way I could do this live, as the site has loads of mods, particularly a custom shipping mod. This mod alone could take weeks to sort out.

During the time it would take to get V6 to a working site, there will have been a large number of changes on the database, products in and out of stock, new customers, new orders etc etc etc.

I do have a dummy domain i could play with, in fact i did start last autumn, but needed the site to prepare for 2016, so scrapped it.

From what i could gather last time, the databases between V3 and V6 are totally different.

Lets assume I copy the V3 to my dummy.. again.     And upgrade this to V6,     then over a period of a few months get it to a point that we are happy with.

How would I go about synconising the database discepancies.

Also, I'd somehow have to copy the now working V6 over to the real domain.

How would I go about synconising the database discepancies

There is no way to do that.

I would duplicate, upgrade then customise keeping it version controlled in GitHub. When customised to how you want it upgrade again using the customised version and go live with minimal downtime. 

A bit confused.

I have a duplicate of V3 already on a spare domain, this is the one i was working on for the 2016 changes. For the 2016 changes i just copy about 8 tables over and upload the new images, so pretty staright forward.

You suggest I update this to V6, customised it and get it working how we'd like. This I understand.

Once i have a V6 that i'm happy with, how would i use these files to update the live V3.

Also I guess things like database names, users etc will all be different, in different files. This i don't need to worry about going from V3 to V3. For instance on V3 global.inc would be different between 2 x V3 sites, but i'd imagin V6 will be totally different.

Guys.

This is a clincher, as to whether or not I put months worth of work in, so any advice today would be grately received.

It seems that I may have a lot of work to do around product options and the pricing options in V6 that were not there in V3.

I have a test site which was a snapshot of my V3 a month ago, and now been updated to V6.

Lets assume that i make lots of changes to product options and pricing options on the test V6, and when i'm finally satisfied that it's how we want it, i go with a live upgrade to my V3.

I'd upgrade the live V3 to V6, then remove all files and ftp over all the files from my test V6.

I'd copy over the test V6 database, but i'd need to retain a number of tables from the live site (now a V6).

tables like: customers, inventory, order summary, order inventory, basically, any live tables which may have changed between now and 3 months time.

Is this going to work, and if so which tables will i need to retain from the live site (upgraded to v6)

My only other alternative would be to upgrade the live V3 and have it as a 3 month work in progress, which the boss and customers will not want.

I'm in exactly the same position. Got my v3 site copied to another server and updated to v6 but have about 3 months of new database entries in live v3 database. 

What I plan to do is copy the live v3 site again. Upgrade to the same version of v6 as before (6.08 in my case). Copy any new database data to the first v6 database. Test. If all OK will then update original v3 to the original v6 test version then copy all files and database from the working v6 on the test server. Upgrade to latest version of v6.

Hopefully this will work and with limited down time.

• 2 weeks later...

Being unfamiliar with versions prior to v6, I can't tell you exactly what to add / change, but what I would so is the following:

1. Make a backup of the live v3 database and import it into a local MySQL installation
  2. Compare the SQL structure of the v3 tables to the v6 tables
  3. Use ALTER TABLE on your local v3 database until it matches the v6 tables - paste each command you used into a text file
  4. Test the local database with a local install of CubeCart v6 - note that live 'CubeCart_config' values such as the store address may not work well locally, so you may need to delete that entry and start fresh for testing

If that all worked out for you, then do the following:

1. Take your store offline temporarily
  2. Make a FULL backup of your live site, just in case the upgrade doesn't work out
  3. Using PHPMyAdmin or whatever database interface you have for your store, paste all the ALTER TABLE commands you saved into the 'SQL' query box and run it to update the live database, or just import a dump of the local version (keeping in mind your store may not work with the local version of the 'CubeCart_config' settings).
  4. FTP the updated code base to the live site
  5. Test while still in offline mode
  6. If it works, great; if not, restore from your backups.

I've found that pretty much every table other than CubeCart_config can be transferred between local and live without a hitch, but the values in that table can prevent your entire store from working with no way to access the admin panel to change them. The only remedy is to drop the table or delete all entries from it (there should only be one anyway) and recreate it with the default values from the CubeCart version you are using.

I've copied my V3 site many times over. At the end of the year, I create a mirror image and work on the mirror for the new year change over.

To be fair, I've done this so many times, I could have a mirror up and running withing 20-30 minutes.

I've already upgraded a mirror V3 to V6 and am working on this prior to go live.

My next stumbling block will be upgrading the live v3 to V6 and then trying to determine which tables I'll need to copy between the 2 sites.

As the Dummy V6 and Live V3 are simetrical as far as stock goes, and my V6 test site is almost ready to go, the only data at this stage I think I'll need from the V3 is any live data which constantly changes, probably Customers, Address Book, Order summary, order inventory and anything else anyone could think of.

I'm sort of planning doing this late one Friday evening which should give me lots of free time uninterupted.

I've done my upgrade as mentioned in earlier post. One issue I did come accross was that the set up didn't complete, the page timed out about the time it went from completing v3 to end of V4 update going into start V5. I reloaded the same page e.g. clicked in the address box and pressed enter key. The setup then picked up where it left off. It did this on a couple of trial runs also with v6.10 set up files. On another occasion with an earlier version V6.08 the set up completed but when admin opened there was an error and it asked me to run setup again as the database was still in V5 format. There was a link in admin to click, I did so and it seemed to sort itself out.

17 hours ago, keat said:

My next stumbling block will be upgrading the live v3 to V6 and then trying to determine which tables I'll need to copy between the 2 sites.

If you haven't made any changes to the database structure in your mirror V6 store after you completed the update from V3 then you won't need to copy any tables over. Just copy the V6 files over to the original server once you have updated it to V6. Think you will need to keep your original includes/global.in.php and includes/ini.in.php intact. If you have only made changes to the skin files then just copy that over and leave the core files as they are.

• 2 weeks later...

There are table discrepancies between the two sites.

Some V6 product descriptions have been tweaked a little, things like shipping and taxes have changed.

Counties and zones have been tideied and changed.

I did perform a dummy run last week which seemed to go to plan.

I've a few more minor tweaks to do, and I'll probably pefrom another dummy run, before I take the decsision to do it for real.

I kept all the tables from my v6 and copied over a few tables after the dummy run, namely anything customer or order related.