[Resolved] Can't change order status at all

nathanbright

I upgrade from 6.0.8 to 6.0.10 last Thursday

All orders since that date cannot have their status changed by Admin

What happens is a "blank screen": Chrome reports 'No data received'. Firefox reports 'The connection was reset'

The apache error log shows nothing. Hmm, and I just looked at the access log and that is showing nothing too, no request gets sent to the server

The original status change from Pending to Processing that happens when a payment succeeds *is* happening. We have checked changing "Pending" to any other status, and "Processing" to "Complete" and all result in the behaviour above

PHP version 5.3.3

Apache 2.2.16

Ah, apache "root" error log is reporting "child pid XXX exit signal Segmentation fault" which Google tells me is likely to be some sort of internal PHP error - any chance anyone in the know about what has changed in the order status change code that might be relevant to this?

We now need to find PHP's error log. If it is not to be found, please do this:

Please create a file called ini-custom.inc.php, and have as its contents:

<?php
# Custom initialization commands
# Filename: ini-custom.inc.php
# File location: main CubeCart folder

ini_set('memory_limit', '256M');
ini_set('max_execution_time', '60');
ini_set('error_log', 'error_log');
ini_set('log_errors', 'on');

?>

Place this file in CubeCart's main folder.

Right, I see what you are doing there, getting logging turned on. Completely understand, but already on (going to the Apache log), reporting level  65527 (just about everything)

HOWEVER

memory_limit was at 128M and increasing to 256M SOLVED THE PROBLEM

So, cool, thanks again

Hope this helps others

A final comment: enabling a PHP error log, as opposed to viewing Apache's error log, would have shown us a log with an entry that said:

PHP Fatal Error: Could not allocate more memory, max already in use, in line ###. (Paraphrased)

However, this situation would want to prompt me to learn why CC6010 wants to use more memory than CC608.

Agreed about wanting to know why increase memory allowance worked

Correct me if I am wrong, but our error_log value is NULL which means that Apache handles the errors and puts them either in the apache vhost error log (if it knows at the time of the error) or the "root" apache error_log

Certainly we have a few "PHP Warning:" lines already in the logs suggesting this

Neither error log had any report of an out-of-memory issue (just the segmentation fault I mention above) - we only know that increasing memory solved the problem

All said in the spirit of offering more info if someone investigates this further

(I shall be upgrading PHP this week, I'll report back to say if that allows the status change with the lower amount of memory)

I have been made aware of some installations where PHP logs errors in Apache's error log. Such an installation may be due to Apache running PHP as a managed module and has made some settings to capture PHP's error output, as opposed to PHP running separately as a FastCGI.