[Resolved] PayPal Pro not working

drupopuppis

Hi everyone,

I get this error when trying to checkout "Error: Security header is not valid Security error", (see screenshot below).
I have tried on both sandbox and live same result.

Additionally:

1. on the checkout page there is a button for payment with credit cards which doesn't seem to be sending any data.
  2. when trying to use the button "or pay with paypal" nothing happens.

Also is confusing to me that the checkout has two buttons has Paypal is the only payment we have in use.
live page can be seen at: http://www.tubethailand.com/

Any help is very welcome as I am clueless of how to sort this issue.

checkout.jpg

error.jpg

CubeCart has both a PayPal "gateway" and a PayPal "plugin". The gateway is probably the "PayPal" choice, although I have not seen that logo before, while the orange PayPal button may be the PayPal Pro plugin.

The gateway with the credit cards must be another gateway you have installed and enabled.

The standard response by the CubeCart programmers to reports that PayPal results in "Security Header is not valid" is that, for the means CubeCart is contacting PayPal and the data CubeCart is giving to PayPal is not the correct combination of method and merchant ID credentials. That is, PayPal (standard) with PayPal sending back an IPN requires a matching MerchId number for that type of PayPal account, while PayPal Pro (express, et al) may require a different MerchID number for that type of PayPal account.

However, I am not one who knows PayPal all that well.

You should not have both the PayPal plugin and payment gateway enabled at the same time.  After deciding which one you want, then ensure you have the correct PayPal credentials.  If you are still getting the same problem then check with your hosting company for the cause of the 403 error - one cause is a mod_security trip although not heard of that with PayPal payments

Ian

19 minutes ago, havenswift-hosting said:

You should not have both the PayPal plugin and payment gateway enabled at the same time.  After deciding which one you want, then ensure you have the correct PayPal credentials.  If you are still getting the same problem then check with your hosting company for the cause of the 403 error - one cause is a mod_security trip although not heard of that with PayPal payments

Ian

I had only one active. As previoisly mentioned, I have also tried in a different server with a different account and had the same issue, so I guess there might be something to do with the plugin.

For the time being I had to uninstall the pro and install the normal Paypal.

2 hours ago, jpfaias said:

It won't work with your credentials in sandbox mode, change it to live and it will work. to use sandbox you have to create proper credentials for it

@jpfaias At the time the request of assistance was posted I had set up PayPal Pro with a business account API key / ID etc. This did not work on both Sandbox and Live. Because the issue remained unsolved, I had to revert back to the other plugin available in the marketplace, (the simple Paypal) and I am using a normal account.

Login to your PayPal account and click on 'Profile'. Do you have 'PayPal Payments Pro' listed in your 'Services'?

If you do, under 'Account Information', click on 'Request API credentials'. Then, under Option 1, click the 'Set up PayPal API credentials and permissions' link, followed by 'View API Signature' under the NVP/SOAP API integration.

Make sure your API Username, API Password, and Signature all match EXACTLY. The tricky part, which bhsmither clued me in on previously, is that the character encodings may screw you up if you copy/paste directly (specifically the '-' character, which has multiple hex representations), so paste the values into plain old Notepad, then re-copy them and paste them from there.

Also, as others have mentioned, the live and sandbox modes use different credentials and are not interchangeable. The credentials above would be for the live version; sandbox credentials are created from PayPal's sandbox and/or developer sites (don't recall at the moment which).

7 hours ago, bsandall said:

Login to your PayPal account and click on 'Profile'. Do you have 'PayPal Payments Pro' listed in your 'Services'?

If you do, under 'Account Information', click on 'Request API credentials'. Then, under Option 1, click the 'Set up PayPal API credentials and permissions' link, followed by 'View API Signature' under the NVP/SOAP API integration.

Make sure your API Username, API Password, and Signature all match EXACTLY. The tricky part, which bhsmither clued me in on previously, is that the character encodings may screw you up if you copy/paste directly (specifically the '-' character, which has multiple hex representations), so paste the values into plain old Notepad, then re-copy them and paste them from there.

Also, as others have mentioned, the live and sandbox modes use different credentials and are not interchangeable. The credentials above would be for the live version; sandbox credentials are created from PayPal's sandbox and/or developer sites (don't recall at the moment which).

@bsandall Thanks, I knew the trick of the copy and paste from another installation and already done it using notepad++ but failed.

Notepad++ should be fine, but it depends on your settings. Please try it with regular Notepad; if it still doesn't work, can you verify that you do have API credentials in your PayPal account as I described above, and that 'PayPal Payments Pro' is listed as 'Live' in your PayPal services?

Also, what version of the PayPal Pro plugin are you using? I have v1.0.9 and can confirm that it is working both live and, when I swap the credentials, in sandbox mode.

If after checking all of the above you still can't get it to work, you may need to contact PayPal support.

@bsandall Following your suggestion I have reinstalled PayPalPro-1.0.11 from the Marketplace and used MS Notepad to rewrite the Paypal credentials.

This time I have set the account to be live directly, so no testing on sandbox....and.......it actually worked flawlessly ...! 

The only thing that it is still there is the double checkout button, it is not a big deal but remains a bit confusing...(see screenshot).

Many thanks for the effort and support, your advice was great.

checkout.jpg

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm of the underatanding that with the express checkout, your site takes the customers card details and passes these to PayPal.

Whilst this no doubt works for a lot of people, I'm personally not comfortable about having this sort of responsibility, so I've opted to use the gateway.

With the gateway option, the cart passes only the customers address and basket totals.

5 hours ago, keat said:

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm of the underatanding that with the express checkout, your site takes the customers card details and passes these to PayPal.

Whilst this no doubt works for a lot of people, I'm personally not comfortable about having this sort of responsibility, so I've opted to use the gateway.

With the gateway option, the cart passes only the customers address and basket totals.

I use the gateway version, but have dabbled with the Pro version in the past. It was NOT my experience that I the test customer had to provide credit card info to me at all. I DO like that the Pro version provides an itemized list of what it owed on the PP screen, whereas the gateway only shows the total owed. BUT I have never been able to get the PRO version to allow a customer to pay with their own debit/credit card without having to first create a PP account.

1 hour ago, Dirty Butter said:

I use the gateway version, but have dabbled with the Pro version in the past. It was NOT my experience that I the test customer had to provide credit card info to me at all. I DO like that the Pro version provides an itemized list of what it owed on the PP screen, whereas the gateway only shows the total owed. BUT I have never been able to get the PRO version to allow a customer to pay with their own debit/credit card without having to first create a PP account.

So, if I understand right a customer with no PP account would not be able to pay with CC and checkout successfully unless he creates a PP account...? I thought the customer only had to create an account for the web site but I never thought they had to have a PP. If this is the case I might need to revert with the standard module and if the customer requires a detailed invoice I can provide that using the backend admin.

When I corresponded with PP support, they said there was nothing wrong with my PP setup, and they saw no reason why I couldn't get a checkout screen that allowed credit card payment without opening a PP account, but it won't work for me. Give it a try for yourself and see if opening the PP account is OPTIONAL (as the gateway version) or required by default. I'll be curious to see what you find.

PayPal Pro provides 2 checkout buttons because each serves a different purpose:

1. Checkout, i.e. with a credit card - the customer enters their info on a form on your site, but this form is submitted to and processed by PayPal and the customer never leaves your site. This does NOT require the customer to have a PayPal account, and your server doesn't store any of the credit card information, just the results of the transaction as received from PayPal.

2. Check out with PayPal - the customer is taken to a PayPal login page with your store logo where they must login and choose a payment option, then they are returned to your site. Obviously, this requires the customer to have a valid PayPal account.

I'm not sure what others mean by the 'gateway version' vs. the 'pro version', as a gateway is a generic term for any way of transferring data between e.g. your website and e.g. the payment processor. If they mean the 'Express Checkout' version, I'm pretty sure that only supports the 'Check out with PayPal' option as described above.

1 hour ago, Dirty Butter said:

I was referring to the Express Checkout with Pro PP - we do not want to be involved with customer credit cards at any level - that must be why I can't get optional PP account to work for us with Pro. I'm content with the standard version.

From your previous post, it sounded like you were trying to allow customers to pay by credit card, my mistake.

If you only want Express Checkout, then no, you wouldn't want PayPal Pro (which has Express Checkout as an integrated component). Just use the regular PayPal module, which it sounds like you are.

7 hours ago, bsandall said:

PayPal Pro provides 2 checkout buttons because each serves a different purpose:

1. Checkout, i.e. with a credit card - the customer enters their info on a form on your site, but this form is submitted to and processed by PayPal and the customer never leaves your site. This does NOT require the customer to have a PayPal account, and your server doesn't store any of the credit card information, just the results of the transaction as received from PayPal.

2. Check out with PayPal - the customer is taken to a PayPal login page with your store logo where they must login and choose a payment option, then they are returned to your site. Obviously, this requires the customer to have a valid PayPal account.

I'm not sure what others mean by the 'gateway version' vs. the 'pro version', as a gateway is a generic term for any way of transferring data between e.g. your website and e.g. the payment processor. If they mean the 'Express Checkout' version, I'm pretty sure that only supports the 'Check out with PayPal' option as described above.

@bsandall great explanation, I got it now.

To be honest, I am fine with both buttons and will leave the PP Pro option Versus the standard as it gives better options to the customers.

• 1 month later...
On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 0:22 AM, drupopuppis said:

@bsandall great explanation, I got it now.

To be honest, I am fine with both buttons and will leave the PP Pro option Versus the standard as it gives better options to the customers.

i was under the impression you could only have 1 selected either paypal payment pro or paypal standard can anyone clear this up?

i like paypal payment pro because it prints off the full products what the customer has purchased from paypal & no need for a second invoice to be printed on in cubecart, however like most people i dont want to firstly pay paypal £20 per month to Paypal be able to take credit cards on my website and secondly want any security issues by taking them.

i started of with payment pro went through the credit check etc with paypal but then decided against taking credit card payments myself and went to Paypal standard so i am able to take credit cards without any worries/issues.

it would be nice it there was a option in payment pro to take credit cards but by going to paypal's website like paypal standard.