[Resolved] PayPal Pro not working

drupopuppis

2 hours ago, foz1234 said:

i was under the impression you could only have 1 selected either paypal payment pro or paypal standard can anyone clear this up?

That's correct, but Pro includes standard, so with Pro installed you can have 2 buttons - one for paying with card directly on your site (but handled by PayPal), and the other to go to PayPal's site and log in, at which point the customer can pay however they like.

The advantage of Pro is that the customer does not need a PayPal account, whereas I'm pretty sure they do even if they want to pay by credit card if doing so from PayPal's website.

no that's not my findings, with PayPal standard you can pay with PayPal or credit/debit card no problem, it opens to PayPal site and there's a button "click pay with credit or debit card without a PayPal account".

with payments pro you're correct in saying you get 2 buttons, but its handled on your site your required as the seller to go through a credit check and you pay £20 pm for the privilege of being able to take credit/debit cards. unless I am missing something.

it would be so simple to give the option I am sure to the seller.

I use Standard BECAUSE customers can use their debit/credit cart without being required to eventually join PayPal. I would prefer Pro Express , since the PP page shows a proper invoice - not just the total owed, but customers are required to join PayPal. I do NOT want to collect credit card info on our site (even if it were free). So Standard is the only reasonable option for us.

Good to know - I didn't realize they could pay by credit card on PayPal's site without an account. However, Pro does not require the customer to have a PayPal account, neither at the time of payment or any time thereafter.

One advantage of Pro is that customers can enter their information without leaving your site and without you actually doing anything with the credit card data. The card data is sent to and processed by PayPal, so the risk is minimal compared to processing cards yourself, but yes, it is still riskier than not having anything at all to do with credit cards.

Another advantage is that you can take credit cards over the phone using PayPal's Virtual Terminal. This can be huge or completely worthless depending on your business model. For my business, it is extremely important and was already set up long before we had an eCommerce store, so we were already paying the monthly fee.

You can see a feature-by-feature comparison on PayPal's website.

Of course you should use a payment system that works for you. If that's Standard, great. If it's Pro, great. If it's Authorize.net or something else, great. I have no skin in the game, just trying to share information.