folder permissions

foz1234

V6.0.10 This is my first post, first of all I would like to thank you for your hard work on this project, I think its great. I have it all set up now, you've made it very simple, the only issue I had was ftp'ing the unpacked files from the desktop to the server for some reason they were always smaller than the unpacked folders on desktop, (no cpanel) so I had to ftp the zip over and unpack it on the server, no big issue but wanted to let you know, may be a school boy error that I made but I did try it 5 or 6 times and I also tried sending it over to another server just in case but I had the same problem, tried  re-downloading the zip and tried 2 different ftp programs. but as I say it worked fine sending over the full file and unpacking it on the server.

my question after the installation and everything is now set up what should the folder permissions be? I had to change quite a few to 777.

thanks you again

regards

foz1234

hi Al, thanks for your fast reply, 

To be clear I have already installed cubecart and set it all up, I am assuming for security I should change these folders back to 755?

Are you saying it depends on the hosting config whether or not it will work after I change the folder permissions back to 775 sorry this is where i was confused?

is there any order I should change them back in and test or just change them all to 755 and test?

Once again I would like to thank you your assistance and your hard work with cubecart.

foz1234

If your hosting company is running suPHP or suExec with any allowed combination of php and let, then ALL directories should always be 755 and ALL files should always be 644.  Many hosting companies don't run this much more configuration as it takes more server resources and they can then cram more sites onto each server !  You would then need some directories set to 777 which is very insecure but worse still is the fact that every account on that server is equally insecure !  My only advice then is to find a different hosting company that cares about your security more than their bottom line

Ian