strange behavior upon checkout

cutecube

Cubecart V6. Yesterday a person tried to buy an item. The order appeared in the admin section. No payment showed up. I contacted the person. He said that when he went to check out, his basket was empty and the item wasn't available.

I only have one of the item and the inventory reflected that it was now zero, since the system thought the sale went through. I reset the inventory to quantity one. I asked him to try again, but send me a screenshot if he still had problems. See attached screenshot.

This time, the ordered never appeared in the admin section, and the inventory was unchanged from qty one. He said he ordered only one.

I have had no other problems like like before. Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be or how I can troubleshoot it?

Screenshot_2016-02-24-15-37-09.thumb.png

No options. It's identical to a lot of other items in the system. Every setting is identical to most of my items that I sell (handmade, one-of-a-kind jewelry items). Inventory control is enabled, initial inventory is set to one, and out of stock is set to zero.

The customer said that he was using Chrome in Android and simply clicked on the 'add to basket' button.

I tried it from my desktop, using Seamonkey and had no problems, so it may have something to do with how he's doing it, or what he's using to order it with.

Additional information: The first time he tried, the order showed up in admin section and inventory was changed to zero. The second time he tried, (attached screenshot), no order showed up and inventory wasn't changed. Not sure if that helps or not.

I was able to duplicate the screenshot two ways.

1. Using Chrome on Android, I put that item in my basket, went to basket and proceeded to check out. After filling in my name, etc. I clicked 'secure checkout' (I only have paypal). Before continuing to paypal, I hit the back button. Again, clicked the secure checkout button. That message showed up.

2. After that, I reset inventory to one item. I shut down Chrome. Went to my website again using Chrome and tried to order that item again. As soon as I click on 'add to basket' that message shows up. Inventory still shows quantity one.

I changed inventory to zero. Tried to add that product to basket and got the out of stock warning. Changed inventory to one, hit 'add to basket' and again got what you see on the screenshot above.

Very concerned.

Under Store Settings -> Stock, there is an option called 'Reduce stock levels' - what is this set to?

The reason I ask is that once a customer clicks the payment gateway button, the order is created and placed in pending, even if they then click the back button or otherwise fail to actually place the order, and I suspect you have your store set up to reduce stock when orders are placed ('Pending').

Changing it to the first option - when payment has been made (Processing) - should prevent this particular issue.

23 hours ago, bsandall said:

I suspect you have your store set up to reduce stock when orders are placed ('Pending').

Changing it to the first option - when payment has been made (Processing) - should prevent this particular issue.

I agree. I believe that the default setting for this should always be when payment has been made (Processing status) that is generally when you should allocate a stock item to an order.  You could have ten items in stock but have a malicious user place ten orders for that item, but not pay for any and then have none available to sell to legitimate customers.

The only time stock should be allocated at Pending stage is when you have very limited numbers of that item, turnover is high from large numbers of orders AND you also have a very low time limit for discarding unpaid Pending orders (say 20 minutes which is normally more than enough to complete payment on an order) and therefore returning "reserved" items back into stock

Ian

I changed the 'Reduce stock level' per suggestion. The default of 'when the order is placed' seems like a bad choice for a default setting, as it should only be used in a very specific situation according to havenswift-hosting.

Haven't tried it yet, but your suggestion seems logical and I believe that will take care of my problem.

Thank you very much.

One more question on that same page.

What should 'Admin stock warning method' be set to and why? It's set to 'global' in stead of 'per item'. Not sure the difference.

The 'method' choice of global vs per-item is to alert you when any item of inventory gets below a threshold of 4, for example, versus when a very fast moving item gets below a threshold of 20, and a very slow moving item gets below a threshold of 2, for example.

Thanks, bssmither,

Having re-read your answer at least 25 times, I'm still not sure what that means to how I should manage stock warnings.

So, rather than try to explain it another way, so my think head could understand, maybe you could just tell me what you think I should set it to.

I sell one-of-a-kind handmade jewelry items. 98% of my inventory is set to Qty:1, with a warning of zero. I have over 150 items, where I might sell 3 to 4 items per day. I currently have it set to 'global'. What do you think I should have it set to?

When 98% of your inventory is "one-of-kind", then I would have to assume it is one of a kind. That is to say, when this handmade, unique, never again will there be any other like it, item gets sold... then, it's gone.

It's quantity goes from one to zero. And there will never be another like it. I would have to assume such an artist couldn't care less about knowing of its stock level.

So, set your store to not show 'out of stock' items, set the Admin stock warning method to 'global', set the warning level to zero, then simply ignore the warnings.

Yes, your statements are correct. When I sell one, I don't care about stock levels. I only want it to show that it's out of stock so no one can buy that item, once sold.

That's how it's currently setup. Thanks for the help, again. I appreciate it very much.

Show topic as 'solved'.

As an artist, I would want CubeCart* to be my gallery. That is, even though this item has been sold, I would want my visitors to know the breadth and depth of my skills. (*Or maybe your Wordpress site - whatever.)

So, maybe not hide out-of-stock items, rather place them in a category showing items that are not available for sale and have that category as a gallery of sorts.

Behold, gaze upon my creative glory!

Right now, I'm leaving all sold items still visible to visitors, so they can see my talents and possibly reorder one, knowing that it would not be an exact duplicate. This would also give them a chance to say "can you make me one just like this one, except put a blue crystal instead of the green one". This has happened several times so far.

I thought about putting all the sold items into a gallery, but I think it might take away the potential reselling ability as opposed to seeing it in the 'for sale' section, but marked 'sold'.

Not sure at this point which way to go on this.

But, thanks for the idea. I'm always open to new ideas.

We leave all out of stock plush toys showing and offer to help people find one like it for free. I use a mod of SemperFiWebServices called Ask About a Product. It's not on the Marketplace, but on his website. https://www.semperfiwebservices.com/ask-about-a-product-cc6.html

This could certainly be used to increase your likelihood of reselling a similar custom made item.