making zones tax free

keat

We have 2 zones in the UK which are tax free.

These are the channels islands, listed as Jersey and Guernsey in the zones list.

I've created a tax rule for UK all zones and set this for 20%

Then a zone each for Jersey & Guernsey as Tax Free, but these are still listed as UK.

It seems that the 'UK - All Zones' is over riding the two Jersey & Guernsey zones, and as such charging these zones at the 20% vat rate.

I've tried moving the UK zone below these, but it makes no difference.

Any ideas how I get around this ?

Looking at my installation of CC6010, I find Jersey and Guernsey in the Countries tab. These two records were added in the CubeCart_geo_country table as part of the upgrade step at CC529.

I do not find any instance in any version of CC5/6 where these two records were associated with GB in the CubeCart_geo_zone table.

So, if Jersey and Guernsey is in the Cubecart_geo_zone table, remove them.

Add the two records shown below to the CubeCart_geo_country table:

INSERT INTO `CubeCart_geo_country` (`id`, `iso`, `name`, `iso3`, `numcode`) VALUES ('', 'GG', 'Guernsey', 'GGY', 831);
INSERT INTO `CubeCart_geo_country` (`id`, `iso`, `name`, `iso3`, `numcode`) VALUES ('', 'JE', 'Jersey', 'JEY', 832);

Now you should be able to configure Tax Rules for the "countries" of Guernsey and Jersey.

I did initially have a country for the Channel Islands with the islands inside, however, technically, they are not a country, also the iso codes only list GG and JE when in fact there are 5 Islands.

I may have to revert back to this though if there is no way to do this.

How do you get around this in the USA. I guess 52 states all have different tax rates ??

Most goods exported to the States can be zero-rated for UK VAT purposes (that is, VAT does not need to be added), as long as documentary evidence of the export is kept. Any extra charges made for freight, shipping, postage or delivery are also zero-rated.

As a general rule we only need to charge VAT to EU countries unless the purchaser can supply a valid VAT number. In which case you can get a mod from Noodleman to handle this. Interestingly the other day I found out that every Spanish company has to be registered and they are not allowed to trade with non VAT registered companies. It is also difficult to validate a Spanish VAT number on the VIES website.

We're in Alabama, USA. We only collect sales tax for orders delivered TO Alabama (check box in CC takes care of delivered to situation). When I buy goods online from websites that do not collect Alabama Sales Tax, I have to pay Alabama the appropriate Sales Tax when I pay my Income Taxes. Each state has its own sales tax rules and procedures.

So cannot you create a similar situation for your Channel Islands with zero tax if delivered TO them, which should over-ride the overall UK rules?

I did try, but for what ever reason it doesnt seem to accept different tax rates for different zones in the same country.

I've now reverted to Jersey and Guernsey as separate countries and removed them from the zones.

Although there are 5 or 6 islands they all belong to Jersey or Guernsey.

Before I do the migration ill run a SQL script to change the country iso based on postcode like.

"CubeCart's Tax functions doesn't seem to accept different tax rates for different zones in the same country."

I will agree. My Tax Rules are: 1)US:All Regions = 0.00, and 2)US:Colorado = 7.5% which are actually summed together. I could have US:California and US:Florida, each with their tax rates, and each would be used accordingly. But that leads to having 50+ rules. What I see needed is how the AIOS module calculates shipping -- the first rule that matches, wins.

Regardless whether politically you agree or disagree that GG and JE are enough to encompass all islands into their two respective bailiwicks, and whether they are considered a "nation" or not, this is how CC6 is handling the situation.

My only issue with putting GG and JE as countries, is that citizens of the Channel Islands, regard themselves as UK citizens.

So if they choose 'UK' in the country drop down, they will be charged tax, then it's someones responsibility to contact the customer and put things right.

Whereas, if Jersey and Guernsey were zones within the UK, and a zone is mandatory, then they are less likely to choose the wrong one, as this forms part of thier delivery address.

Having said that, we only have about 30 Channel island customers, so I can't see this being an issue.