Link product to non-inventory item

Dr. Gonzo

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there is some way, without altering code, that Cubecart can allow the linking of merchandise to a non-inventory item. An example would be if you were selling a gear that goes on several bicycle models on the market but are not selling the bicycle itself: So you want the customer to be able to add that gear to the cart and purchase it all the while having reference to the compatible item it goes on while in the cart. I see the options matrix has potential for this but if I have 200 different bicycles that the gear fits and my supplier decides to raise the prices on me, I would have to go in and alter the price for all 200 of those non-inventory bicycles to stay current rather than just changing it under one and having it propagate to all other gear prices.

Hope this doesn't sound too confusing but is there a way I can accomplish this easily?

Welcome Dr. Gonzo! Glad to see you made it to the forum.

"Add that gear to the cart and purchase it all the while having reference to the compatible item it goes on while in the cart."

I would think the easiest would be to create a series of options (need to find a solution to make visible only x number of options and scroll the selector list), assign all those options to an options 'set', then assign the 'set' to the gear. These options would be the make/model of all the products it goes with. These options do not need to affect the price. These options do not need be included in the Options Matrix table. These options are merely 'informative', but the choice does get glued to the product.

There would be only one product - the gear.

But, I think we can "normalize" this effort. On a Document page or in that gear's category page, the list of make/models can be established into groups with the names of the groups as the options for the product.

I have something very similar with a verhicle spark plug.

Whilst the item it's self has a muafacturers part number, it does have a cross reference to about 50 other spark plugs.

In my item description, I have a list of those cross reference part numbers.

Now if the customer searches for one of those cross referenced (other manufacturer) part numbers, this one item appears.

Could you do the same with the Gear.

You have one Gear, with a list of all the bicycles it fits in it's description. If a customer searces for one of those bikes, then the gear appears.

The OP wants the situation where the make/model gets glued to the item such that the name of what it is being purchased for appears alongside the name of the item everywhere: shopping basket, Cart, Order Summary, emails, etc.

Being able to search on make/model is good, but not the goal at hand.

Yes bsmither has it. But there are other instances where there might be 2 or more items linked or quantities of identical item. Another example would be a battery type for a Schwinn Fly FS that takes a pair of batteries. Those batteries also go into a Schwinn S600 but instead of 2 of that battery it takes 3. I price and inventory each battery individually. So if i make a non inventory item for those Schwinn electric bike models it would be nice to be able to have product options to allow us to add all non inventory items in a list That use that part and the quantity of that part needed. So when that non inventory item is added to the cart it makes a call to those fields for inventory item details and multiplies the price, weight or other calculation values.