"Out of stock-Backorder"

Lamrith

I have a very small business I am starting up, while I have access to a MFG entire product line I am only stock the more popular items to start off. 

However, I can place orders anytime and would like a way to take backorders thru the Website.  Allowing out of stock purchases is easy enough by checking the option. 

BUT want to be very clear to my customers that the item is not in stock and ready to ship.  Instock items the cart shows the inventory levels which is great, but when it is out of stock it shows nothing at all.  Someone that is not familiar with the site would never know that they were back ordering the item.

Is there a way to have it notify when looking at an item that it is out of stock and can be backordered?

Would ALL items marked out of stock be available for back  order? If so, you could change the wording for "out of stock" to "back order" or something like that. You would probably want some indication of a time frame for shipment.

If only some out of stock items could be had on back order, it would take extra coding.

15 minutes ago, Dirty Butter said:

Would ALL items marked out of stock be available for back  order? If so, you could change the wording for "out of stock" to "back order" or something like that. You would probably want some indication of a time frame for shipment.

If only some out of stock items could be had on back order, it would take extra coding.

Yes I am only selling one type of product all from a single source and all are available to be backordered.  The hope is to get a few backorders and boom I make minimum, or if not I buy a few for stock to meet minimum and thus fill backorders within 1-2weeks.

Maybe it is the skin I am using, I am using Nota?

When I have the store set to not allow out of stock purchases, it says out of stock, which is perfect.

But when I check the box to "allow out of stock purchases" then it does not say that, it is replaced with the "buy it" and qty to buy field...

BACK ORDERS OK, NO STOCK ON HAND:

BO-Out of stock.JPG
NO BACK ORDERS, NO STOCK ON HAND:

NOBO Out of stock.JPG
NORMAL IN STOCK ITEM:

stock.JPG

Edited by Lamrith
picture descriptions