Should I upgrade (4.4.8 to 6)

Hi all, I have 3 stores that I've had since 2009. They are all currently Version 4.4.8.

I have a lot of Estelle's Mods installed and have had A LOT of customisation done (other mods developed, custom appearance, etc).

What happens if I upgrade? (I am a total newb and don't know much at all)

Do I loose all my mods or do they fail to work? What does the store look like? Do I have to have all that work re-done?

Thanks!

Penny

V6 is totally different on the insides, compared to v4 - with LOTS of improvements. I would guess that at least some of your mods are now stock v6. SemperFiWebServices has taken over support/sales on Estelle's Mods, so you would need to contact Daren to see what he can do to help you there.

It really depends on your skill level/determination as to whether you would upgrade and attempt to get your custom appearance with changes to Foundation, the v6 skin VS pay a developer to make the changes for you.

What I was trying to say was the comparison between YOU customizing Foundation to cosmetically look like your current site VERSUS paying for a developer to do it for you. CC support might NOT be your "final hope", if you don't mind paying for a developer to work out the issue.

Ah, I see @Dirty Butter thanks! I do not have the skills myself. My 'main web guy' is from the UK. He has been tying to resolve the issue (linked to above), but has run out of ideas now. He can't replicate the problem which makes things even trickier. I don't know whether he would have the time to 're-build' the stores for me (to get them to their current 'state') in the time-frame that I'd be wanting (very minimal down-time for the 3 stores). I also feel like I have spent so much time and money on my store, to get it where it is, that all that time and money would be going 'down the drain'... The stores BTW are www.shootbaby.com www.shootbaby.com.au and www.shootbaby.co.uk 

In the post you mentioned, I said, "In the image above, I see a Transaction ID from PayPal. In CC4 admin, Transaction Logs, find that ID number and the time. Then visit CC4's Admin Logs. Find the same Time."

I am hoping for a clue as to when the order's status was updated.

Just now, bsmither said:

In the post you mentioned, I said, "In the image above, I see a Transaction ID from PayPal. In CC4 admin, Transaction Logs, find that ID number and the time. Then visit CC4's Admin Logs. Find the same Time."

I am hoping for a clue as to when the order's status was updated.

Let me dig through my emails to see what my 'web guy' said about that @bsmither Just a moment,,,,

Here we go @bsmither:

No, checking the transaction logs against the admin logs won't help. The transaction logs are created by PayPal (on the ShootBaby sites), and show if payment has succeeded or failed etc and the transaction ID, which should show in your PP account.

The admin logs show if you update a product, or delete something in admin, for example. It doesn't show if a product gets sold or paid for.

I was just looking at the latest one on the US site that I emailed you and Garrett about and it's strange in the trans log. It shows payment succeeding first then 2 failing, but AFTER the successful one?? I have a feeling the customer is clicking the Payment button more than once i.e. it's still processing from the first click before they're clicking again. I can't see why the successful payment comes before the 2 failed ones.

And some more:

It's Ok Penny I have been on the forum (first time in years lol), and seen the post.

It still would happen on the UK site if that was the case, surely. I compared the structures of the DB's from US & OZ to the UK one and now they're all the same. Even after doing this we've had it happen (on the order you refunded the other day).

I've just been through the order numbers you gave me the other day and none of the names, address' or items had apostrophes. There was one I checked that had (3 pack) (the brackets), but lots of orders have gone through Ok for clamps (6") and they have quotes in there and would cause an error every single time.

I'm thinking of putting something in place to stop customers double-clicking the 'complete payment' button (if possible). Looking at the trans log for that order on the US site, that I sent you the screenshot where the payment had succeeded BEFORE failing twice, I'm sure they've gotten impatient and clicked again. I could be wrong but it's just weird that it succeeded before it failed! At the end of the day, it won't do it any harm adding a prevention. I have had the credit card form code open today and in the bit where the bank security form appears (it's disabled as you have to register for it), a notice appears saying, 'Do not click the refresh or back button or this transaction may be interrupted or cancelled.' You can't see this notice, but it still may affect the order?? But, it's back to the UK site, where it doesn't happen and I'm sure there are a few impatient Brits and Europeans that click the button more than once! :)

I should also remove any mods that aren't being used, just to eliminate that possibility. It will be quite painstaking and take a while but what do you think?

I've just upgraded from V3.18 to V6.10. I have the benefit of our own server and a number of spare URL's that I could use for testing.

I too was heavily tweaked and modified, so a straight upgrade was out of the question for us.

It took me about 4 weeks to get the V6 to a state that I felt I could hand over to the business without causing too many disruptions.

10 days ago I fully migrated, I do still have a few minor issues to resolve. I guess because of my position with the URL's and server it made things a little less urgent.

I would suggest doing something similar.

7 hours ago, keat said:

I've just upgraded from V3.18 to V6.10. I have the benefit of our own server and a number of spare URL's that I could use for testing.

I too was heavily tweaked and modified, so a straight upgrade was out of the question for us.

It took me about 4 weeks to get the V6 to a state that I felt I could hand over to the business without causing too many disruptions.

10 days ago I fully migrated, I do still have a few minor issues to resolve. I guess because of my position with the URL's and server it made things a little less urgent.

I would suggest doing something similar.

Thanks @keat yeah I was thinking the same for my stores. They have been modified so much that I thought a 'clean' install of CC6 (in a sub-directory of my current stores or something?) might be the best way. How 'advanced' would you say CC6 is? Did you need any/many modifications to get your store running like it was before? Or are a lot of those features standard now? I've attached a screen capture of SOME of the mods I have, but there has been A LOT more work done by my web developer. Did you do all the work yourself? Or pay someone else to do it? My current web developer won't be able to help me if I upgrade to CC6 as he's not versed in the newer type of PHP (OOP, Object Orientated PHP). It's more of a hobby for him, than a profession :)

mods.JPG

From the view of a clean, stock, CC6 installation:

The All-in-One-Shipping is a module available for CC6. I understand it will use the zones already setup by the AIOS mod for CC4.

I do not know what Auto Update Currency is, but CC6 will query for current currency exchange rates on demand.

There is a coupon function in CC6, but comparing feature-for-feature leads me to believe some things about the CC4 Enhanced Coupons are not available in CC6. (Per Customer Use Limit, Per category Application)

There is no 'arbitrary' (aka 'custom') product sort.

There is arbitrary sort on options for products, but not on a per-product basis.

Options for products can be made mandatory, but not on a per-product basis.

Google Analytics is included.

A feature-rich Image Manager is included. A "Hover to View" effect shows the images from a gallery assigned to the product.

There is the ability to price a product with a quantity rate schedule.

Independent stock levels (and more) for each combination of product options (blue-small vs. large-red).

No ability to assign images to a product's options.

I do not recognize "Ryan Malin".

Of course, there may be plugins to provide or enhance functionality.

The All-in-One-Shipping is a module available for CC6. I understand it will use the zones already setup by the AIOS mod for CC4.

It is not the same as Estelles. It doesn't have ‘plus $x per item’ or ‘plus $x per kg/lb’ options, which I need :(

Looking at the Settings screen for AIOS v1.0.5, General tab, there is an Advanced Settings section. The phrase "Show advanced settings" is a link, when clicked, will show a series of checkboxes. (The boxes do not line up with the captions properly in this version, so be vigilant.)

These settings include per-item and per-unit-weight enablers. Their value fields then show up in each zone's methods.