[Resolved] digiital print downloads

cutecube

I have a question I can't figure out. I setup Cubecart 8 months ago, selling physical products. I now want to start selling digital prints.

I'm using the "All in one shipping" module. It's setup to add s shipping fee based on location. e.g. US, one price, Foreign, another price. How do I setup a digital download product to not include shipping and not require an address? I did see one forum comment of how to turn off asking for shipping address, but nothing in CC6.0 matched the suggestions.

I've spent many hours today, trying to figure this out, but have stuck out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The thought is, if you accept payment via credit card, you should be asking for at least the billing address - even if the payment processor is the only entity that will use it.

That said, CubeCart can be set to only ship to the one billing address. This switches off the delivery address form fields.

Digital-only orders do not require a delivery address, but keep in mind point #1 above.

To switch off the delivery address (this should work), in CubeCart's admin, Store Settings, Stock tab, "Allow delivery to non-invoice address" is not checked.

bsmither,

Wow, thanks for the quick response!! Always impresses me!

I may not have been clear enough in my initial request.

I want to add a digital product. Lets call it a print. I want the user to 'add it to basket' and checkout. i.e. go directly to PayPal and pay.

My first, problem is that shipping charges are added. I can't find anyway to turn off shipping charges to one item. I have flat rate shipping fees based on country.

My second problem is that I would like the user to go directly to PayPal (my only gateway) and pay there, without having to enter any shipping or billing address in my website.

I will not be shipping anything. I'm assuming that once they pay, CC will somehow automatically email them a link for the download. (please confirm that's how it works)

They will download the high resolution print. Therefore, I don't believe that I need any information from them except for their email address (not sure where they would enter this, though).

p.s. what reason would I need their billing address for (per your suggestion)? I can get that from PayPal if I need it.

Hope that helps to clarify my problems I'm trying to solve.

"My first problem is that shipping charges are added."

I hear you say that the "digital print" is actually a JPG file (or a set of image files in a ZIP, for example) that can be downloaded once paid for. You will not have any 'tangible' products.

Choose a product you want to be a digital download. In CubeCart's admin, Products list, any item correctly deemed a 'digital' item is represented by an icon in the Type column as a downward-pointing arrow sitting atop a thin bar (it's a hard drive). A 'tangible' (physical) item is represented by an icon that looks like a box with wrapping tape around the lid.

Bring the intended digital item up for editing. Click the Digital tab.

Here is a brief explanation of some aspects of a digital download.

You must make an item 'digital' to not incure shipping charges - regardless of what shipping modules you may have enabled, and this (should) include the All-in-One-Shipping module.

"My second problem is that I would like the user to go directly to PayPal without having to enter any shipping or billing address."

I understand one of the three PayPal methods (I'm not that familiar with PayPal) will send back the address to CubeCart. I am at a loss to explain how that works.

We can certainly remove the address form. We will also need to finesse the "required fields" that are now empty.

"Once paid, CC will somehow automatically email them a link for the download."

Correct. When PayPal sends to your store an "Instant Payment Notification", CubeCart's code will move the order to Processing, and if digital-only, then to Completed.

"What reason would I need their billing address?"

I'm sure there are other reasons that escape me at the moment, but you may have local and regional taxing authorities wanting you to submit the correct sales tax. I do not know if PayPal will calculate that for you. CubeCart needs a County/State and Country.

Fantastic! The thing I was missing is that when you select the digital item, there's a little empty check  box beside the selection, which I never noticed and never checked. That's how you make an item 'digital'. Once I checked that box, the icon in the Products section turned to the download item. So, from what you're telling me is that CC is smart enough to not add shipping charges to digital downloads. Great. That solves my first problem. Thanks.

As for the second problem, I hadn't thought about the tax reporting situation. I guess I'll leave that alone for now.

Help me understand why I would still need the "deliver to billing address" and "I would like to create an account" check boxes as they apply to digital downloads.

"Help me understand why I would still need the "deliver to billing address" and "I would like to create an account" check boxes as they apply to digital downloads."

I think CubeCart is not yet all that aware of a digital-only order needing a "Deliver to Billing Address" button. That may be getting too close to what is called an "edge case" or "corner case". That is, a situation where more work is needed to make the scenario make sense when it really makes no significant difference.

In admin, Store Settings, Stock tab, you can specify how many 'download attempts' and 'time to download' the customer has to fetch their products. You may allow for an unlimited time to download - expiry is infinite.

It is not inconceivable that a non-account customer might lose the email with the download link in it. Having created an account will allow the customer to re-download the product from their Account, Downloads page.

• 1 year later...

To add my experience today.

I uploaded a pdf image with the filemanager image upload and using ftp uploaded the same file to ../images/source/..  then used

File path/name.ext in the digital product page to name the file.

This produced an error.

Once I deleted the image file in filemanager, all was well.  :) 

I hope that helps.