Low Orders Since Latest Upgrade

LizB

My website was upgraded to V6 as the previous version was no longer supported. Since then, there's been a serious drop in orders. My developer says its due to all the SEO being lost with the upgrade. Surely that's not the whole picture, or why would anyone upgrade at all?

Welcome LizB! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

I have no answer for this. (And it's all because I am an SEO atheist.)

On the other hand, I recognize that it is important for some people, and I have many hundreds of email spams all purporting to get me ranked higher than all of the thousands of other people they send their same-worded emails to.

An SEO votary may have published a comprehensive analysis of what may be happening, but such a report is not in my sphere of interest.

If you learn the secrets of the inner workings of SEO and how they relate to CC6 versus what you were running before, don't be shy about discussing your findings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2016 at 8:25 AM, bsmither said:

If you learn the secrets of the inner workings of SEO and how they relate to CC6 versus what you were running before, don't be shy about discussing your findings.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

On 8 April 2016 at 9:07 AM, LizB said:

My developer says its due to all the SEO being lost with the upgrade. Surely that's not the whole picture, or why would anyone upgrade at all?

Your developer is not being truthful and / or doesn't really know what he is talking about.  A standard upgrade does not lose all SEO.  If you had some form of customized urls in your V4 store that do not translate to V6 urls then these should have been recorded and custom entries entered to replace the V6 ones or alternatively a bunch of 301 redirects could have been setup.  There is never ANY technical reason during any upgrade or even a complete move from one E-Commerce package to another to lose SERPS - only a lack of knowledge

Ian

On 19/04/2016 at 9:15 AM, havenswift-hosting said:

There is never ANY technical reason during any upgrade or even a complete move from one E-Commerce package to another to lose SERPS - only a lack of knowledge.

So there is no possible reason why anyone upgrading from a standard installation of a V4 or V5 store using say the Kurouto skin to V6 using the Foundation skin would see a drop in SERPS? The change of skin doesn't make any difference?

IF your old store had SEO appropriate urls, AND you have the proper .htaccess file, then your new store should have SEO appropriate urls that your old url addresses would re-direct to. As I understand it, all that url stuff is determined in the Admin code and .htaccess - NOT the skin.