Still having issues with PayPal Express

keat

I disabled PP express before I went on holiday, due to an issue with subtotals.

I see that there's an updated module, but I'm still having the same issues.

The email confirmation back to us has the wrong subtotals. For some reason, it seems to be adding the tax portion twice.

Could anyone help shed any light on this ?

ppexpress.jpg

ppexpress2.jpg

template.jpg

Just a shot in the dark but you may have tax setup on both Paypal and CubeCart.  I know that there are some tax settings in Paypal in the US.  i leave them blank as I collect tax on the front end.  However, if it is setup on Paypal to be collected for each transaction, as well as cubecart, it would result in a the phenomena seen above.  

I emailed Paypal this morning. Below is thier reply.

That module is not an official paypal module and unfortunately our integration team can not assist with this issue as the this issue is related with the code of the plugin/module, you will need to go back to the developer for clarification.

It could be for many reasons and some unrelated with PayPal itself, wrong calculations it’s directly related with the code…

Rather than using $Data.Total, is there anything else I could substitute ?

This morning, I installed v1.0.10 for a few hours. After watching about 6 orders come through, i never once saw the taxes issue.

However, I did experinece a different yet just as important issue.

A customer logged in to his account and placed an order, (email notification is set to pending), so we recieved the email stating his registered name.

The customer paid using PP-Express, but PP-Express updated the database with it's own information, which was different.

I actually saw this happen with my own eyes.

There's something seriously wrong with the PP-Express module.

It changed his name.

This caused a whole lot of confusion when the team were trying to match the payment to his order.

The order came through as One thing, the payment another.

What made it harder still, was that PayPal, then changed his name on the order in the cart.

It just so happened that I was in the order side watching for PP-Express orders and saw the order come in (pending)

20 minutes later, the team called me to say that something didn't make sense, and when I looked, It even confused me for a while.

Had the customer not logged in, i'm not sure this would have been an issue, as at any stage of the process, we wouldn't have his details, these would be passed by PayPal.

However, because he had logged in, the cart sent instruction with one set of details, Paypal updated these with another.

I don't recall seeing this happen on v1.0.11 or v1.0.12, but can't be certain as i keep having to disable it anyway.

I brought this issue up in the past, but it was never really addressed. The problem is that the info that PayPal has on the customer is used by CubeCart to overwrite the currently logged in user's name and email (and possibly other data).

I have no idea of the reason behind such a design decision, as it doesn't make any sense to me: imagine, you create your CC account with a secondary email address, but then log in to your PayPal account using your primary email - suddenly, your CC email address (and possibly name, if you used different names) has been changed! Now imagine you have multiple PayPal accounts and like to switch between them when paying for things...

That may seem far-fetched to some, but in this day and age with normal people easily having dozens of online accounts and data breaches being fairly common, anyone that is slightly tech-savvy is likely to have multiple email accounts that they use for different purposes and very possibly under various aliases.

Customer information should ONLY ever change when the customer (or possibly admin in special cases) changes it, and I would not consider logging in to PayPal using a different email or name to be deciding to change their information.

Kinda turned into somewhat of a rant there, but I think this is an important issue, though I have yet to make some time to poke around and see exactly where it is happening.

We sell to people who are mostly on the low end of the tech saavy spectrum. They often forget to change PayPal email and billing address information after moves, etc. Thank goodness the Gateway PP does NOT over-write CC info with out of date PP info!! So it's not just people with more than one PP account who could be at risk with this odd plugin behavior.

Two fundamental flaws with the pp-express module doesn't fill us with confidence, so today we decided to disable it permanently. 

A shame really as I'm sure the express checkout would result in an increased conversion.

3 hours ago, bsandall said:

I brought this issue up in the past, but it was never really addressed. The problem is that the info that PayPal has on the customer is used by CubeCart to overwrite the currently logged in user's name and email (and possibly other data).

I have no idea of the reason behind such a design decision, as it doesn't make any sense to me: imagine, you create your CC account with a secondary email address, but then log in to your PayPal account using your primary email - suddenly, your CC email address (and possibly name, if you used different names) has been changed! Now imagine you have multiple PayPal accounts and like to switch between them when paying for things...

That may seem far-fetched to some, but in this day and age with normal people easily having dozens of online accounts and data breaches being fairly common, anyone that is slightly tech-savvy is likely to have multiple email accounts that they use for different purposes and very possibly under various aliases.

Customer information should ONLY ever change when the customer (or possibly admin in special cases) changes it, and I would not consider logging in to PayPal using a different email or name to be deciding to change their information.

Kinda turned into somewhat of a rant there, but I think this is an important issue, though I have yet to make some time to poke around and see exactly where it is happening.

I fully understand pp-express completing the order details if no details are present. That makes it a one step less process.

But it really ought not to update existing details.

The following is an unexplored response to your question. That is to say, you want to know where the CubeCart_customer record is updated for a logged in customer when using PayPal Express Checkout? It is located at the following location. But I have no knowledge as to what might blow up, or PayPal policy you will be violating, or what security vulnerability you will let loose by making any change to the code.

In the plugin module file /PayPal_Pro/hooks/class.cubecart.construct.confirm.php, near line 87, starts a test to determine if a user is logged in.

If not, even if the customer may actually have an account but has chosen to not log in, this code creates a new customer record in the database. But may fail if the email address already exists in the database as the 'email' column is unique.

Else (line 96), that is, the customer is logged in, the customer's database record is updated with the data provided by PayPal.