[Resolved] SSL with CubeCart

JackP

Hi folks.  I have my SSL installed on the server and it tests out ok (from the SSL check as well as manually starting with a https://.  However, if I just enter the domain it doesn't start out secure and neither does checkout.  I see the setting on the SSL tab of the store settings in the admin section.  If I set this SSL flag to yes, then I get an error of "This page isn't redirecting properly" and nothing else.  Are there additional settings that I have missed?  Thank in advance.  Jack

Would you please review any directives in the .htaccess file that may be 301 redirect.

Also, there may be some settings in your hosting account's control panel - now that an SSL cert is installed - that may be sending spurious redirects.

I recall this happening elsewhere, and there have been solutions found. I just don't recall what they were, exactly.

If you have access to your site's web server access log, there may be clue.

What we are looking for is whether the web server accepted the request (which would have launched PHP to run Cubecart), or did not accept the request and issued (and logged) a 301. We are trrying to place the blame: CubeCart's bounce or some other actor ahead of CubeCart.

On the surface, it looks like CubeCart because the erro message didn't appear until you switched on SSL in CubeCart's admin.

But then, you haven't mentioned exactly what the series of bounces actually look like. That can be seen in the browser's developer tools.

Thanks Brian.  I resolved it.  It was not in the log and I was having trouble determining with web tools.  As I suspected it was a CubeCart issue, I started looking around.  It turns out you must have https:// within the SSL URL in the global.inc.php file.       

Well, no, having a specific config setting in global.inc.php is not really required.

Unless your site is at a non-domain address, such as:

$glob['ssl_url'] = 'https://127.0.0.1/dev-site-1';

Which, if it is, you should have mentioned that.

Nope, it wasn't at a non-domain address and putting the setting in the global.inc.php resolved the issue.  SO, whether documentation says it is required or not is irrelevant as changing the setting detailed above resolved the issue thus making it required to work properly, at least within my installation and SSL.