How to deal with customers' Typos

Dirty Butter

This seems to be getting worse for us, not better. You'd think by now people would be used to buying online and would double check the email address they type in for purchases and to contact us. But the number of bounces has gone up considerably this year - usually something simple like ".con" instead of ".com" that I can fix - but not always.

What would need to be coded to have them type email addresses twice and force a match before proceeding?

The foundation skin doesn't use Abide but  jQuery Validate instead. It should validate email addresses to a certain extent already.

It would be possible to check the MX records for the domain automatically but that risks potential fails for genuine email addresses.

I don't think there is a good reliable way to do this.

My take on this is that logins should be freeform. Virtually everything I log into (other than CubeCart and my actual email accounts -- and which means I am not very far ranging in my web surfing habits) has a uniquely available (to that location) username and any kind of password.

To that end, I support not using email addresses as the primarily functional way to log in. Sure, a username could look like an email address, but it wouldn't actually be the email address. Just a unique username.

Plus, CC_order_summary holds the email address of the customer at the time the order was placed. This may be of some use for historical purposes only - absolutely no practical use.

This would be relatively easy to fix client side as you could add another field. You could then change the jQuery Validate code to make sure that the 2 fields match and then the customer would be able to proceed. You could simply hide this extra field with CSS, and display it with jQuery.

This would not solve the server side validation however.

31 minutes ago, cb2004 said:

This would be relatively easy to fix client side as you could add another field. You could then change the jQuery Validate code to make sure that the 2 fields match and then the customer would be able to proceed.

This is what I had in mind, but I don't know how to do it.

The Facebook/PayPal login would work, but I do NOT agree that the other information would necessarily be correct. We have had situations where the PayPal mailing address was out of date. At least the login email address would be accurate. Do these plugins save all this login/mailing address information in the CC database?