Wireless Bridge

Al Brookbanks

Hello Folks,

I have a wireless ADSL Netgear router thing and work from another room on a wireless laptop.

So annoying as it looses connection ALL the time as I'm about 30 meters from the wireless access point.

Does any one know what equipment should improve this?

I gather antennas are a bit crappy so would one of these sitting between the connection help?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=75472

Would it act as a bridge?

I hear in the USA you can use your electricity connection and plug in a wireless access point but thats not legal here. ;)

hi brooky

i have a similar setup

what you need to do is lift the router as high as possible - it increases connectivity

is your laptop room above or below?

whats the line of sight if any?

i had an absolute nightmare setting mine up as i run three pcs of mine ;)

Guest jbdancer

gather antennas are a bit crappy so would one of these sitting between the connection help?

That i don't kwow ,:D i have also wireless router. NO problems with that. I'm about 50 meters from the wireless access point. :D

Wireless connection status : excellent ;)

plus in my last house it was pumping through stone wall after stone wall without problem!!!

maybe settings is a problem - what sort of signal strength are you showing before attempted connection?

go to tesco get some cheap phone extensions and move your router to upstairs

that way you should get a lot better connectivity and the phone can stay downstairs if that is a necessity

i don't know either i live in USA mine plugs in the wall i can go 500 Feet, 5 football feilds

Those aren't allowed in the UK due to different saftey regulations and we have 240 volt sockets. ;)

Just moved router thing about 2 meters up the wall... fingers crossed...

now the ethernet cables aren't long enough LMFAO

thats what i have done - its best in the long run

get everything wireless - its also fairly cheap

this desktop i am on is next to the router but i have the wireless card in for when i bum out and take it upstairs and work in my boxer shorts for a week :D ~:D ;)

as long it is the same line and you use a filter on the other socket as well it will work

i have to have a filter on the other socket in my house to use a telephone else the adsl interference makes it impossible to call anyone ;)

good luck brooky:)

No I moved the adsl router upstairs. Signal strength was good......

....But even with a dongle type thing it just wont copnnect to the internet up there.

I think BT have made it so it only works from the one socket. Sounds sily but I seem to remember them mentioning that. So.. at the moment I have a low signal on only 20 meter or so distance... Thats really crappy...

Do you have any other equipment using the same frequency i.e. 2.4Ghz? I have a Digisender to send Sky signal to other T.V's and that can have an effect on my wireless Lan.

Just a thought.

Guest jbdancer

this desktop i am on is next to the router but i have the wireless card in for when i bum out and take it upstairs and work in my boxer shorts for a week :D ~:):D

LOL ;)

the thing it with netgear wireless is the have a db gain of .5. i linksys has a db gain of 5.0 with hacked frimware. stock is 1.0db the best thing to do is not be under the wireless ap when useing it... why the beam from the ap is strate and up it will not shoot down.

you can put better antennas on you system with a better db gain i know here in the us you can only push 5 watts of power in the uk i think you can push 7 watts as well. a stock AP only pushs 1 watt to 1/2 watt.

and the other thing to look at is what type os card is in your laptop? USB or PCM ( creditcard type) USB is better. if it a laptop with the antenna inside then try to use a USB type card.

i have help files i made for this if you wish to see them pm me..

• 2 weeks later...