Invoicing ..

I was just wondering - Is it possible to add an order, or to update an order, and then allow the customer to pay for the changes using their CubeCart account.

The problem we have is that some of the larger items which are shipped internationally incur additional shipping charges, we have considered  modifying a shipping method to take into account the size of items when necessary but the admin overhead in doing that is large, admin would need to add shipping charges for individual products and keep them up to date ..

Therefore we are considering that when we receive such an order, we will just generate an additional invoice to the customer for the extra shipping charges allowing payment by logging into their CubeCart account, obviously the customer would only wish to pay using the same method  that was used to place the initial order.

Is that possible ?

Don't know of a way to do this within Cubecart. We have to bill customers quite often for additional shipping charges. We just adjust their invoice in admin and send them a PayPal invoice for the additional payment or request customer to make an additional bank transfer. Not had an issue doing it this way. We do make it clear on the website what the procedure is when excess delivery charges need to be collected.

I do not know of a concrete example, but in admin, an order can be created for a customer. The "inventory" of this order can be completely arbitrary. That is, you can enter a product named, "Final Shipping Charges Balance" and set the Grand Total price.

What I do not know is how, exactly, CC6 will treat this inventory item. Because it has a "0" product_id, CC6 may effectively treat it the same as a gift certificate.

There is still the question on whether the customer will be able to pay for an administratively created order. The latest posting on the forum I have seen with regard to that is that the customer did not have a "Make Payment" option for that order in their list of orders in their account pages.

In CC6010, a customer can cancel an order at Pending or Processing status. A customer can Complete Payment on a Pending order made by himself, but not on a Pending order made by the admin.

This is because a test is made for the existence of "shopping basket" contents. The "basket" is a catch-all for anything CubeCart (or a plugin) wants to put in it: obviously, details about the products, but also details about shipping choices, discounts, etc.

An administratively created order does not construct a "basket" to put in the Order Summary record. But there are individual columns in the Order Summary table that hold these values anyway.

In CC6011, a customer can cancel an order only at Pending status. A customer cannot Make Payment at all.

So I guess, we could set up an hidden product called for example 'Extra postage' with different rates as product options.

Then when a subject customer make a payment -

1. Login as the customer
  2. Purchase the appropriate option from 'Extra Postage'
  3. Leave the order in 'pending' status
  4. Inform the customer of new invoice, which must be paid before initial invoice is released
  5. Then in Admin await payment complete for the pending charge (3. ) 

Seems like it might work , has someone tried that - ??

Chris.

Do we know if the customer has conferred with the store owner about any additional shipping charges?

If so, then having the customer leave his order at Pending (not yet paid for but does have a "basket" associated with it) while the admin researches the actual shipping charges.

When shipping charges are finally calculated, the admin adjusts the order. Then the customer Makes Payment.

I still feel there are unrealized difficulties in this process. Especially when I do not see a Make Payment option in CC6011.