Can't add any new products

bobdonkey

So I have many products listed, but suddenly cannot add any new ones via admin. If I try, it says that the product was added successfully when I save it, but instead of showing me the same product, it loads the previous latest product. It is not actually saving it, and I have confirmed this in the inventory table. I am able to create a new product in the inventory directly using php admin. 

any ideas why this would happen? I can't add any products to my site manually at all.

Thanks

I wish I could help, but I can't. I don't remember anyone having this issue before. So, to help someone who might be able to help you, please let us know what version you are on, is your install stock, anything unusual about your hosting setup, have you recently made any changes to your store, etc.

Can you EDIT an existing product listing and get THAT to save?

Try disabling cache and see if that helps. Clear your store and browser cache before attempting a save again.

I did find this:

Do you normally have more than one CC Admin tab open while you are working on a listing?

- Yes I can edit products fine, just not add new

- I have 2 test sites which are on the same version and they are fine, just my live site

- I am on 6.0.11

I just found in the System Error log what the issue is, it is logging this each time I try and save:

Duplicate entry '' for key 'index_upc'

Which table is index_upc in?

Oh sorry I am being stupid, this is an index on the upc field. I must have made it, I think I can fix it now. Thanks

Yes thanks DB.

I had previously made a unique index on the UPC field, since I store alternative product code information in there and use it for SQL joins. So really it was my fault. The consequence is that I cannot manually add a new product unless I also put something unique in the UPC field, so I can't see just leave it blank.

So it was my doing, but there was no error or warning when inserting the product, which is a bit odd.