[Resolved] Database Has (Sort Of) Lost Previously Collected Mandatory Data - BUG in v5 Skin

Daamon

The order with the details NOW "missing" (not displaying) was done when we were on CC608 (entirely - not part way through the upgrade). I say "NOW" as I've been told that the details were displaying OK up until recently - exactly when is hard to say as we get very little traffic.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a nagging feeling that the order that is not displaying text data was edited to have been moved to Completed -- when the system was running CC608.

Regardless of any edits having been made to the CC608 code that was trying to "hack a solution" to the disappearing text problem, I may find that the edit "failed to take" and the disappearing text was still a problem.

But I'll still look.

2 minutes ago, bsmither said:

I have a nagging feeling that the order that is not displaying text data was edited to have been moved to Completed -- when the system was running CC608.

I'll check with the shop user to see if they manually moved the Status to "Order Completed" on recent (CC608) orders and let you know...

Hi. A summary of the response from the shop user:

- The order status was, until recently, being automagically updated to Processing once payment had been made through PayPal

- From there, the status would be manually set to Order Complete

- We've had a recent issue arise where PayPal payment was processed but order status stayed at Pending - something to do with an IPN having a brain fart. I've researched it and made some changes from &amp to & only (might evenhave been @bsmither's suggestion). This may have resolved the issue, as it looks like it's now working. Anyway...

- The shop user was manually changing the status Processing to trigger emails, then to Order Complete.

Then we upgraded to 6.0.12...

So we now appear to be at the point where we're receiving orders with the mandatory fields displaying AND the order status back to updating automagically when PayPal payment goes through. Or, put another way, happy days are here again! For now... Thanks all for your help - very much appreciated, as ever.

I spoke too soon... Not so great news after all I'm afraid. The shop admin user got a bit excited about the mandatory data appearing that they reported all was OK

They've since processed the orders (which were ALL in a status of either Pending or Processing AND had the mandatory data showing in the Order Summary) and manually changed the status to Order Complete. As far as I'm aware, we're fully on CC6012 and PHP5.4.45

Every single order which was showing the mandatory data - now at a status of Order Complete - is now not showing the mandatory data. I've looked in CubeCart_order_summary @bsmitherpreviously asked about and can confirm that the data is still there, but not in  CubeCart_order_inventory fields  'product_options' and 'options_array' - so it's being wiped and therefore not being displayed after the order status goes to Order Complete.

I consider this a defect in the code - do I need to raise it formally or will this forum post get it addressed?

Sorry to hear this!

Is it possible for you to duplicate this sequence of events on a stock install, or perhaps the CubeCart demo store? If so, it's definitely a bug and not due to some variation in your install. By all means report this on GitHub, with a link to this thread.

On 7/1/2016 at 4:33 PM, bsmither said:

Regardless of any edits having been made to the CC608 code that was trying to "hack a solution" to the disappearing text problem, I may find that the edit "failed to take" and the disappearing text was still a problem.

But I'll still look.

@bsmither How did you go with your check? This - on the surface - appears to be exactly what is happening. Just don't know the "why"...

14 hours ago, Dirty Butter said:

Sorry to hear this!

Is it possible for you to duplicate this sequence of events on a stock install, or perhaps the CubeCart demo store? If so, it's definitely a bug and not due to some variation in your install. By all means report this on GitHub, with a link to this thread.

Hi @Dirty Butter. As far as I know, there's been very little if any changes to the stock install other than recent tweaks made as suggestions in these forums to fix up problems.

I logged in to the demo store (I don't have a stock install) but I'm afraid I can't set things up to see if my issue can be reproduced - I can't add a new product, nor can I add Product Options to an existing product (I need to add a single-line text field) - logged in with credentials provided on demo home page. When I click "Save" I get:

Access to demo.cubecart.com was denied

You don't have authorization to view this page.

HTTP ERROR 403

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it's not been addressed yet, but the only way to be sure it's dealt with promptly is to open a support ticket, which of course has a price tag. Bsmither is the most knowledgeable regular contributor on the forum. I'm just a CC user trying to help when I can, which isn't nearly as often as I wish I could.

1 minute ago, Dirty Butter said:

Sorry it's not been addressed yet, but the only way to be sure it's dealt with promptly is to open a support ticket, which of course has a price tag. Bsmither is the most knowledgeable regular contributor on the forum. I'm just a CC user trying to help when I can, which isn't nearly as often as I wish I could.

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I've raised an issue ticket on GitHub (https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/1179) - isn't that the support site / ticket?

So this is more of a community forum for general queries and great community help, and not a semi-formal vendor's support forum? Ah, OK... All efforts and info greatly appreciated.

On 11 July 2016 at 1:37 AM, Daamon said:

I've raised the demo site issue on GitHub hoping that that can get fixed to allow my analysis of my actual, original issue:

https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/1177

What you have reported here is not an easy issue - the demo site has had to be locked down quite heavily on the admin side to prevent hackers / spammers and this is now normal behaviour although it does make the admin side almost unusable for this type of exercise

3 minutes ago, havenswift-hosting said:

What you have reported here is not an easy issue - the demo site has had to be locked down quite heavily on the admin side to prevent hackers / spammers and this is now normal behaviour although it does make the admin side almost unusable for this type of exercise

Yes, I've had that feedback and experience. It's a shame, but understandable. That's why I was forced to abandon trying to repeat my originally raised issue on the demo site and record it in a separate GitHub ticket 1179: https://github.com/cubecart/v6/issues/1179

9 hours ago, Dirty Butter said:

@Daamon Just a thought - Would it be possible for you to create a fresh test site and try to duplicate your issue that way?

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I wouldn't know how to set up a test site - we don't have direct control over our host box either, so it'd have to be a request and it might cost $$$. I've spent plenty of time digging into the problem and, with the help of people here, appear to have narrowed it down to the probable cause and have raised a ticket - it'll get fixed if they ever get around to it. In the meantime, we have a workaround which isn't too painful.

I have just run a trace on my installation of CC6012, and the text entries entered into the product's textbox options (although they are not "required") remain after moving the order from Processing to Complete.

Nowhere in the trace is there the suggestion that these text entry options could get lost -- assuming the admin skin template file orders.index.php has been properly updated to CC6012 (or the previously mentioned edits to an earlier version template made).

Going through this conversation, I do not find any suggestion to have a browser utility log what form values get POSTed back to CubeCart when the admin saves the order summary.

To view the POSTing, you will need to view the "waterfall". I prefer Firefox with the Firebug addon, but Firefox has its own internal "Network" tab and other browsers have their own set of developer tools.

In Firefox, click the menu icon at the upper-right (looks like a hamburger). Select "Developer" (looks like a wrench). Select Network. A new window pops up.

View an order that has NOT had the text option values disappear. Visit the Inventory tab. Take notes on the values of textual options -- just in case they disappear.

Make some small edit -- perhaps adding a Note that the customer will not see. Save.

In the Developer Netork window, you will see the waterfall populate. The first line is the POST. Click once on that line. A new panel opens with the details of that POST. Click the PARAMS tab. In the Request Payload, scroll to where you see:

Look for [productOptions]

EXAMPLE:
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="inv[136][productOptions][6]"

Content-Disposition: form-data; name="inv[136][productOptions][2][12]"

Hello
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="inv[136][productOptions][1]"

Content-Disposition: form-data; name="inv[136][productOptions][3][13]"

World
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="inv[136][price]"

You should be able to find the text-based options. If you don't find what you took notes of earlier, then there is a problem with the HTML page and the variables that the form is POSTing back.

@bsmither Wow! Thank you so much for doing that - the plot thickens, and for your suggestions on how to dig further.

I'll double-check the orders.index.php file - presumably I'm looking for a recent date for the CC6012 version? When I think that's OK, I'll get actions underway to do the investigation steps you've provided.

@bsmither I've checked the orders.index.php file:

- There's only one, and it's dated June 16, 2016 - suggests to me it's the CC6012 version

- I've also checked the code in the files, based on your comments at the end this post: https://forums.cubecart.com/topic/50993-add-fields-for-a-specific-product-which-database-table/?do=findComment&comment=216193

...and of the changes you suggested, only the first one (changing $OPT to $option) are in the CC6012 versions of the files. I've re-done my discovered "<br>" change to get a better presentation of the product options.

The deeper investigation will come soon...