What is the best way to handle a major update to a cubecart site without disrupting the live site.

Hi there,

I look after a website that uses cubecart v6 in catalogue mode. The cubecart software is currently installed at the root level of "public_html" folder.

We want to make some major updates without the site going down or being disrupted. Is it possible to have a second version of cubecart running from another folder to work on and then when we are ready to go live take the old site down and use the new version? 

Thanks
Amanda

Yes.

There may some sort of server-level "awareness" about the folder being named "public_html", but I believe that is more convention rather than rule.

That said, this is my favorite approach: create a sister folder named, perhaps, /public_html2/ and get a sub-domain named, perhaps, "www2.example.com" that points to /public_html2/. Build a brand new store, complete with a database using a unique table prefix, at this subdomain in this folder.

When ready to make the switch, edit the /includes/global.inc.php file to switch over to the production database (probably only need to change the table prefix), and then rename "public_html" to "public_html_old", rename "public_html2" to "public_html", and rename "public_html_old" to "public_html2". That keeps the www2 subdomain pointing at something.

Of course, your mileage may vary with respect to the capabilities and permissions of your hosting environment.