[Resolved] struggling with search facility

keat

V6.10

I have an odd situation with the search function that I can't figure out.

We sell 'Brass Cable Glands'

If i search 'Brass Cable' they appear at the top of the search results.

If I search 'Brass' or 'Brass cab' they don't appear in the results at all.

When I do search 'Brass' lots of other items containing the word 'Brass' appear, but not these.

Similarly if i search 'cable' they dont appear, but when i search 'gland' they do.

No doubt this is happening with other items... !!

I do recall that partial searching was discussed previously in March, https://forums.cubecart.com/topic/51062-search-facility/#comment-216404

Still confused why it doesn't find them with the word 'brass' or 'cable' though

The price of the mod isn't too expensive, however, i'd rather not start installing mods to get the cart to do something i guess it should already be doing.

Could anyone suggest why these items do not appear when I search the word 'brass'

https://www.beal.org.uk/index.php?search[keywords]=brass+gland&_a=category

https://www.beal.org.uk/index.php?search[keywords]=brass&_a=category

Will try some search variations on keat's site.

5 hours ago, ayz1 said:

It appears that clicking on the show All link isn't showing All the results.

My Search in totally Bsmither code, but it wouldn't help with what keat needs, as mine is based on searching meta keywords. Keat doesn't use the keywords.

The other search sorts apparently don't show them either - only A-Z and Z-A. If that's correct, then the problem is really with SORT - not Search.

Your'e on to something there, as I was also performing view all, and then quickly scrolling through.

Like you say, 'View All' and they don't appear, but go through each page individually and they are there, and indeed searching 'brass cab' there they are on page 9.

So I counted the amount of products it displays which was exactly 100, these items are about item number 105.

Looking in store settings, there's an option 'products per page' which is depreciated (i'm using the mican skin). This then states

' This setting has been replaced with the layout > products > perpage section of the skins config.xml file wich includes page splits. This setting is ignored for skins that have this block of XML. Please edit the skins config.xml file instead. '

I assume it's related.

I found the code in /classes/catalogue.class.php   (was at line 1513 in mine).

I Increased this to 200, and now those items appear.

I can view all and quickly scroll through to the end and see them.

As each day passes, my CC is becoming more and more bespoke.

Thanks chaps. ( and ms Butter)

I'm glad that has helped, but I feel the urge to remind you that all these changes will be lost on upgrade unless you merge them back into stock code. I try to put comments around all my edits, so I can easily spot them when merging my version with the new version.

I really ought to have done so from the outset, but it's too late now.

I do however, retain the original files, so I can usually see at a glance which ones have been altered.

For instance the original to this is now named         'catalogue.class.php-before 100 view limit expanded to 200'

I'll probably wait for a number of revisions before I consider upgrading, as ther'es going to be quite some work involved.

I use BeyondCompare4 to make the merges a whole lot easier for me. And I frequently download the GitHub commit so I can merge a few changes at a time at my leisure. So I already have 6.0.13 in progress on my hard drive. It just makes it easier to keep straight all the edits I have made and all the major code changes that Bsmither has helped me with, not to mention the mods I've bought over the years.

I apologize that I hadn't cautioned you about that before - I thought I had. Anyway, it would be easy if you use a good file difference application to start commenting now.

20 hours ago, Dirty Butter said:

I use BeyondCompare4 to make the merges a whole lot easier for me. And I frequently download the GitHub commit so I can merge a few changes at a time at my leisure. So I already have 6.0.13 in progress on my hard drive. It just makes it easier to keep straight all the edits I have made and all the major code changes that Bsmither has helped me with, not to mention the mods I've bought over the years.

I apologize that I hadn't cautioned you about that before - I thought I had. Anyway, it would be easy if you use a good file difference application to start commenting now.

I guess this a whole new thread in it'self.