Set Currency based on user login

livetech

By default, CubeCart shows a drop-down selector of enabled currencies to the visitor. Once the visitor's session (cookie-based) records the currency of choice, that currency is displayed at all times. For a registered customer, CubeCart stores his default language in the database, but not his default currency.

It is currently very difficult to price products differently on a per-product basis. That is to say, if Gizmo needs to be 30 Euro, but the equivalent of 35 Euro if the price being displayed is in UK Pounds, then a custom exchange rate can be set in the Currencies table. But this exchange rate cannot easily be applied just to Gizmo and not also to Doodad.

There is a mod that will show/hide products/categories on a per Customer Group basis, and also allows for the suppression of displaying categories for visitors. I am not aware of an existing mod that incorporates the geo-location from the IP address.

• 2 months later...
On 23/06/2016 at 2:32 PM, bsmither said:

By default, CubeCart shows a drop-down selector of enabled currencies to the visitor. Once the visitor's session (cookie-based) records the currency of choice, that currency is displayed at all times. For a registered customer, CubeCart stores his default language in the database, but not his default currency.

It is currently very difficult to price products differently on a per-product basis. That is to say, if Gizmo needs to be 30 Euro, but the equivalent of 35 Euro if the price being displayed is in UK Pounds, then a custom exchange rate can be set in the Currencies table. But this exchange rate cannot easily be applied just to Gizmo and not also to Doodad.

Two questions:

1. My installation of CC6.0.12 (latest version) does not show a drop-down of available currencies as far as I can see. To change currency I have to click the triple-bar icon at the top, which causes a series of menus to slide in from the left, one of which is headed “change currency”. Clicking a currency then changes it as expected. However, a drop-down at the top of the screen would be far superior (more obvious to find and quicker to get at). How can I implement the drop-down you refer to?
  2. Am I to take it from what you say that there's no way to set exact prices in different currencies on a per-product basis? For example, a product priced at £450 converts (today) to $601.13. It would obviously be much more customer-friendly if I could set the USD price for this product at, say, $599. But are you saying this can't be done without tweaking the global exchange rate, thus affecting all my products site-wide?

Thanks for your help and advice as ever,

Will

1. The actions you describe suggest the skin being displayed is something other than Foundation. Please mention the skin you are using. How the list of enabled currencies get displayed is dependent of the skin.

2. As the CC6012 code stands, there is no way to override a price on a per-product basis. CubeCart uses the Retail, Sale, Multiple Discount Schedule, and Customer Group Schedule internally for all calculations from beginning to end. CubeCart can display the result of any calculation you want against that internal price, and can even hide prices. But those calculations used to make a final displayed price will apply to all products.

But...

By using a mod where we can have Additional Product Fields, we create a field with a key named 'retail-USD' and have as its value either a fixed number, or a function that results in a new internal price.

The mod (after a few actual fixes that could affect it's general installation regardless of what version of CC it is run on) allows for (practically unlimited) additional data about products to be shown on pages that show product(s) - on a per product basis. Due to the way it works, hook code can be added to affect any other feature or function of CubeCart on a per-product basis.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to find and verify how CubeCart would behave if I forced a price to be a specific value if a specific currency is chosen. I would also have to deal with a mess of other aspects -- option prices, bulk purchase prices, customer group prices, etc, even if you were to tell me you don't use them.