XML feed for Google Shopping

cherrie

Hi there

I'm looking for an extension or way to create an automatic XML feed for the product on my website that will be compatible to run Google Shopping.

I'm sure it's been asked, but I can't find anything that I can follow, so am hoping that there's an extension that my marketing guys can use, or a simple explanation of how to make it work.

Thanks

Cherrie

Thanks for this - I'm hoping there's an automated way to update the feed - I think that the guys who are doing this for me want it to be automated so they don't have to do anything every time I change the products. Do you know if there's any way to automate the feed?

Thanks

Cherrie

If you are running a V6 store you need to make sure you have this installed and activated https://www.cubecart.com/extensions/product-feeds/google-base

In Store Settings click on the Advanced tab. At the bottom of the page in the Other section enter a password in the Product Feed Access Password box and Save.

In Google Merchant go to the Feeds section and add a feed if you haven't already done so. In here you can schedule an automatic feed update to Daily, Weekly or Monthly. You will need a Product Feed URL. To get this in Cubecart admin go to the Export Catalogue section. Set the Products to export option to 25000 and you should end up with a 1 link the Download parts column (provided you don't have more than 25000 products). Now right click on the image at the end of the Google Base row and select Copy Link Location. You can now Paste this value into the Google Merchant File Url Settings box.

Once all set up in Google Merchant in the Feeds section click on the Fetch Now link and your data feed should work.

That free plugin still does not create a new feed automatically - that's the plugin I use. There IS an API way on Google to use Google Merchant, so that's probably the way to go to get it automatically re-created for any product changes. I have NO idea how to do that.

@ayz1 - unfortunately for big stores, Google are requesting that if something goes out of stock - to update the information with them IMMEDIATELY, it's not enough to update them on a daily basis (sadly), they do have an xml file for submitting an immediate change with one item listed, but it's still a pain - time and cost implications.

If there was an API call to Google saying that a product is out of stock, or it's changed price, or it's back in stock - that would be bloody brilliant!

Cheery

Are you talking about using API to automate the updating of the product feed or the uploading of the product feed? I've looked at some of the info on the Content API pages and it looks like it is designed to do exactly what the automated product feed in the Google merchant account does which we can do quite easily with Cubecart. Updating individual items as the data changes is another matter but for most Cubecart users a daily update I would guess will be more than adequate. I have a store with 8000 items on it and a weekly schedule and it seems to be working fine. Can't find anywhere that says the feed has to be updated immediately if a change occurs. Am I missing something here?

Thanks so much for the help - I'll pass all this onto the techos at the marketing company - given I've opted to pay someone instead of doing it myself. I might end up doing it myself though if they can't figure it out.

I'm def not changing platforms - this should be easy.

Appreciate your help.

Cherrie

• 3 weeks later...

We have just released a plugin called "Google Merchant Centre Feed" which replaces and improves on the old "Google Base" plugin and this is immediately available from our own website https://www.havenswift-hosting.co.uk/clients/cart.php?gid=19 and will also shortly be available on the Extensions Marketplace. 

Our plugin specifically adds / fixes the following

* Optional choice of creating an XML feed rather than standard text version
* Fixes problems for stores that hold product prices without tax where Google requires the export to include tax within the exported price
* Correctly selects the barcode based on which fields (GTIN, ISBN, EAN, UPC, JAN etc) are completed based on store location
* Correctly sets the "identifier_exists" attribute based on whether the correct identifiers are set

Google have stated that they will be adding / changing many of the requirements for the Merchant Centre feed and we will of course keep this plugin fully up to date with these as they are announced.

Google Merchant Centre is also shortly to require product landing pages to contain the correct microdata which then matches the data supplied in the feed.  We will be shortly adding this information to our three skins !