Delivery address not required for free downloads

I have several free products in the CC6 site I'm building at www.theolyn.com/cube/ and everything works well with them behaving exactly as expected — just like regular paid-for products, in fact. But is there a way to disable the required delivery and billing address fields if the cart total is £0? This information is not needed if all the user is "purchasing" is freebies and it slows them down. Plus, some users may even find a request for their snail-mail address intrusive, which is counter to the intention of giving these things away, i.e. to get them on my side and start buying stuff.

Any and all help or advice welcome.

Thanks in advance,

WIll

Thanks for the speedy reply, Dirty Butter. Appreciated.

I already saw that post, but it doesn't quite do what I need. I do already have a few PDF documents that people can see for free and I worked out that all I have to do is put them outside of my "files" directory and then just link to them. That's fine for general informational stuff, but I'm also offering MP3s and other stuff, apart from PDFs (some in a protected "Members Library") and I'd like to send people through the checkout so I can keep tabs on who's doing what. Plus, if the freebies are proper products (and not just linked files) they can be downloaded at the same time as purchased products. For instance, I have paid-for MP3s of guided visualisations that need to be properly checked-out, but also a Guide to doing Visualisations, which is free. If someone wants to download the free item separately, so their cart totals £0, I'd prefer it if they didn't have the bother of filling out all their snail-mail deets in order to get it. If I knew PHP I guess I'd be looking for some magic instruction in the cart template that tells it not to require address fields when the cart total = 0. But I know diddley squat about PHP. :0(

Any pointers?

Thanks again.

Glad I'm not the only one!

Compared with my experience of Drupal and Wordpress, the Cubecart community seems to be pretty poor at responding to users with issues around really basic functionality. Instead, responses appear to be left up to a couple of really dedicated people who do their level best to field questions but, in the end, are simply not enough to compensate for the almost zero documentation Cubecart has. Searching forums, I've seen numerous requests for help on problems that must be very common, yet they've gone without response for years. That doesn't do this exceptionally good shopping cart any favours.

I'll certainly keep you posted, should anyone have anything helpful to say about this, but don't hold your breath! I'll meanwhile investigate solutions outside of the Cubecart community and will share if successful.

Best,

Will

Maybe the majority of cubecart users are novices like me, that might account for the lack of support.  However, I'm working on the php code, trial and error.  We'll figure this thing out one way or another.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Yes, it's quite likely most users are novices (count me in that crowd) but I still think it's odd there aren't more experts around, given that CC is now on version 6 and therefore mature and I would have thought has quite a large user base. Anyway, no point complaining — much better to DO something about it!

I'll also search further for a solution to this and let's keep our fingers crossed we'll find a solution. Let's keep in touch over this. :)

Best,

Will

Well, yes, I did think of that. However, it seemed like this was the sort of feature that would be so commonly required someone else would already have found a way to do it.

To be honest, I'm surprised CC6 doesn't have settings to control the information required from customers built in. After all, it has reasonably sophisticated settings in place for delivering digital downloads, which shouldn't need a physical delivery address, only a billing address. So why the requirement for delivery and billing addresses for a digital product that is free?

To have to pay for an answer to this sort of question seems a bit extreme, and only necessary because there's neither adequate user documentation nor an active enough user base that includes users who know the answers to this kind of question.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. It may be that I have to pay someone to reveal the information I need.

Best,

Will

Okay, I fixed what I wanted, but let me explain to make sure this is what you want too.

I'm only using Paypal as a payment gateway and I wanted my customers to go from the basket (choosing a product) straight to Paypal.  I have no need for the registration form.

If this will solve your problem I'll explain what I did.  It is really simple.

Log into your cpanel and click on "file manager", then in the left column click "public_html" to "skins" to "foundation" to "templates".  Now, in the right hand column, go to "content.register.php".  Click on this and click on the "code editor" at the top of the page.  The following is what you need to highlight and then right click on the highlighted area and using your browsers "cut" feature remove the highlighted area (lines 12 - 40)

<p>{$LANG.account.already_registered} <a href="{$STORE_URL}/login.html">{$LANG.account.login_here}</a></p>
<h2>{$LANG.account.register}</h2>
<form action="{$VAL_SELF}" id="registration_form" method="post" name="registration">
   {foreach from=$LOGIN_HTML item=html}
   {$html}
   {/foreach}
   <div class="row">
      <div class="small-4 columns"><label for="title" class="show-for-medium-up">{$LANG.user.title}</label><input type="text" name="title" id="title" value="{$DATA.title}" placeholder="{$LANG.user.title}"></div>
   </div>
   <div class="row">
      <div class="small-12 large-8 columns"><label for="first_name" class="show-for-medium-up">{$LANG.user.name_first}</label><input type="text" name="first_name" id="first_name" value="{$DATA.first_name}" placeholder="{$LANG.user.name_first} {$LANG.form.required}" required ></div>
   </div>
   <div class="row">
      <div class="small-12 large-8 columns"><label for="last_name" class="show-for-medium-up">{$LANG.user.name_last}</label><input type="text" name="last_name" id="last_name" value="{$DATA.last_name}"  placeholder="{$LANG.user.name_last} {$LANG.form.required}" required></div>
   </div>
   <div class="row">
      <div class="small-12 large-8 columns"><label for="email" class="show-for-medium-up">{$LANG.common.email}</label><input type="text" name="email" id="email" value="{$DATA.email}" placeholder="{$LANG.common.email}  {$LANG.form.required}" required ></div>
   </div>
   <div class="row">
      <div class="small-12 large-8 columns"><label for="phone" class="show-for-medium-up">{$LANG.address.phone}</label><input type="text" name="phone" id="phone"  value="{$DATA.phone}" placeholder="{$LANG.address.phone} {$LANG.form.required}" required></div>
   </div>
   <div class="row">
      <div class="small-12 large-8 columns"><label for="mobile" class="show-for-medium-up">{$LANG.address.mobile}</label><input type="text" name="mobile" id="mobile"  value="{$DATA.mobile}" placeholder="{$LANG.address.mobile}"></div>
   </div>
   <div class="row">
      <div class="small-12 large-8 columns"><label for="password" class="show-for-medium-up">{$LANG.account.password}</label><input type="password" autocomplete="off" name="password" id="password" placeholder="{$LANG.account.password} {$LANG.form.required}" required ></div>
   </div>
   <div class="row">
      <div class="small-12 large-8 columns"><label for="passconf" class="show-for-medium-up">{$LANG.account.password_confirm}</label><input type="password" autocomplete="off" name="passconf" id="passconf" placeholder="{$LANG.account.password_confirm}  {$LANG.form.required}" required ></div> 

That's good, Sirtin. Well done!

Only problem from my point of view is that some of the products I'm selling are physical, some are digital, and some are free digital. Physical products need a billing address and a snailmail address; digital products need a billing address; but free digital products don't need either.

It's this last group of products I'm trying to tailor my cart to: the point of giving away free downloads is to entice people to buy from me later and it seems counter-productive to ask them for intrusive information when I want them to just enjoy something for free.

The solution I'm looking for needs to have some kind of if/then stage in it: "If cart total =0 then forget about collecting addresses". I would need to learn PHP to fix this AND how Cubecart works. While I might (reluctantly) be prepared to do the first, understanding CC6's intricacies would be difficult or impossible without some sort of documentation, which seems not to be available. Sigh…

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2016 at 3:01 PM, Will Shaman said:

Only problem from my point of view is that some of the products I'm selling are physical, some are digital, and some are free digital. Physical products need a billing address and a snailmail address; digital products need a billing address; but free digital products don't need either.

It's this last group of products I'm trying to tailor my cart to: the point of giving away free downloads is to entice people to buy from me later and it seems counter-productive to ask them for intrusive information when I want them to just enjoy something for free.

Actually, I think I jumped the gun saying this didn't apply to me — why not let PayPal handle addresses for items to be posted and not bother for downloads and free items? Your solution to this seemed like a good one.

But has it been working for you? I just tried the edit you suggested, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to my checkout experience. I cleared the browser cache and all caches through the Maintenance admin section, but when I visit the site as an unregistered visitor, I'm still being asked for my snailmail address, my billing address, and a password to register with.

Be great if it works — any ideas why not?

All the best,

Will