[Resolved] Not getting new order email notifications

The_4wd_Zone

Hi all,

I am the only administrator for my cubecart store. When a customer makes a purchase I am not getting an email notification to let me know a new order has occurred.

I have checked all the settings and cant seem to work out why. Under the administrator settings the box is ticked to receive the new order emails.

Is there another location in the admin panel where they can be turned on or off? If there I cant seem to find it.

Thanks, Matt

Firstly, are you getting any emails from the store?

If so, admins will get an email when an order goes to Pending or Processing. (Admin, Store Settings, Features tab, Misc section.) There may be other choices, but these two make the most sense, and you can choose only one.

If not, view the Advanced tab. I am not sure what version of CubeCart acquired a Test button, but if the Test button is there, use it to verify emails can be sent.

Hi bsmither,

It seems I am not getting any emails from the store. I have set it to send me emails when the order is pending. I have done a few test purchases with a dummy account and no email.

I went into the advanced settings and tried the test email, im running the latest version of CC, and it keeps saying the test failed to execute.

I have the advances settings set as:

Sending Method: PHP Mail () function

Then other than the senders name and the email address the rest are blank, I haven't used any of the SMTP functions, not really sure how that works.

I am also using a Hotmail email address in the store if this helps. I have done some searching on the forum and noticed few others had similar issues with gmail accounts. If am supposed to be using the SMTP method I don't know what settings to enter.

Matt

I have just been doing some digging on the forum and found this thread that you commented on bsmither.

I added the line of code as described by drupopuppis, that being,

switch($this->Port){case 465:$this->SMTPSecure = 'ssl';break;case 587:$this->SMTPSecure = 'tls';}

I've googled the SMTP settings for Hotmail and done all that as described and still getting the error.

Matt

The email test functionality of CubeCart has never worked properly for me, either, nor have I ever gotten it to send email confirmations when testing from a local server (which can send emails).

Since I wasn't able to get SMTP working, I switched to the PHP mail() function and that works on the live site despite the 'Test' function of CubeCart failing to execute.

Have you placed dummy orders on your live site? What is the status (e.g. 'Pending', 'Processing', etc.) of said orders? At what status is your store set to send email notifications?

If you believe you have all of the settings correct and it still doesn't work, check the MX Entry setting on your web host - you should probably be using 'Remote Mail Exchanger' but that depends on your host's mail server configuration. In any case, try switching to 'Remote' if you're using 'Local' and vice versa in the opposite case.

Hi bsandall,

I was using the PHP mail method and had it all set up and wasn't getting any using that method.

I the mail settings are set to send me an email when the order is pending, which is what orders show up as when an order is first placed, I have also had it set as processing and used a dummy account to make purchases and I didn't get an email for either.

Do you receive email notification using a Hotmail account also?

Matt

I've just checked the MX settings with my web host in my cpanel and have set that as remote.

I've done another test purchase and I am receiving the emails to the email address used to create the dummy account to tell me I placed the order however am not receiving an email to the stores email address to say an order has been placed.

Matt

Check your store settings - it sounds like you have it set to send admin notifications when the order gets to 'Processing' when your order defaults to 'Pending' when first placed. Or something similar. Try changing your order status manually from the admin panel to whatever you have email notifications set to.

On 7/11/2016 at 8:12 PM, bsandall said:

The email test functionality of CubeCart has never worked properly for me, either, nor have I ever gotten it to send email confirmations when testing from a local server (which can send emails).

Since I wasn't able to get SMTP working, I switched to the PHP mail() function and that works on the live site despite the 'Test' function of CubeCart failing to execute.

Very surprised to hear you have never got that working - with the correct settings entered, this always works for us perfectly well. In fact for security reasons we disable the use of PHP mail() as it is unauthenticated and every single one of our clients across multiple servers are using SMTP to send emails.  This is safer and also ensures a much greater chance of deliverability than PHP mail()

If external email services are not working, you need to check (probably with your hosting company) that external SMTP connections are allowed for email - these can be restricted 

On 7/12/2016 at 5:34 PM, bsandall said:

Check your store settings - it sounds like you have it set to send admin notifications when the order gets to 'Processing' when your order defaults to 'Pending' when first placed. Or something similar. Try changing your order status manually from the admin panel to whatever you have email notifications set to.

Hi bsandall,

I thought the same thing. I have tried with either setting with no luck.

On 7/12/2016 at 5:40 PM, havenswift-hosting said:

Very surprised to hear you have never got that working - with the correct settings entered, this always works for us perfectly well. In fact for security reasons we disable the use of PHP mail() as it is unauthenticated and every single one of our clients across multiple servers are using SMTP to send emails.  This is safer and also ensures a much greater chance of deliverability than PHP mail()

If external email services are not working, you need to check (probably with your hosting company) that external SMTP connections are allowed for email - these can be restricted 

What else could be stopping the email from being sent to me when orders are purchased if all the settings are entered correctly?

I've tried changing the port number as a few sites suggest different port numbers, I.e 587, 465 or 25 for Hotmail accounts. I've tried each one, checked and triple checked that my password is entered correctly. Still no luck.

16 hours ago, ayz1 said:

Have you tried using a different email address in admin to try and work out if it is a problem with the original email account or ALL email accounts. Maybe it's a Hotmail issue. Have you not go an email account for your hosting package that you could use e.g. [email protected] instead of Hotmail?

I don't use an email for my domain but I can create one and try it, i'll see how that goes.

Matt

Ok, I just set up [email protected], the cpanel for my domain has all the details of what to put in for SMTP SSL and TLS, port number etc etc.

I have changed the MX setting back to local and put the details in the shops settings and tried to run the test,

With TLS I get the failed to execute message and with SSL I get this message:

"SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known (0)
SMTP connect() failed."

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 11:27 PM, Dirty Butter said:

Glad it's now working. It's a shame, however, that you don't know what fixed it.

Hi,

It seems that the issue was either Hotmail or my web host not allowing the email out. Not sure which one. It isn't how I would like it to have been set up because my Hotmail email account is what I have on all my business cards etc so I wanted to keep it the same. I have set the new [email protected] email up on my phone so I will get notifications straight away so its not all bad.

Would have been nice to make it work with Hotmail though.

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 4:23 AM, bsandall said:

Each time you change the MX Entry, it takes a little bit to propagate - this is likely the reason it didn't work at first, but did later without apparently changing anything. See: https://www.google.com/support/enterprise/static/postini/docs/admin/en/troubleshooting_spe/faq_mx_how_long.html

I initially forgot to change the settings back to local after I set up the [email protected] email and I got the error message. I changed the MX settings from remote back to local and it worked straight away.

"SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known (0)"

This suggests to me that your hosting provider has not configured, or is not allowing, PHP scripts on your site to request a DNS lookup (find out what IP address to use for 'hotmail.com') that may be required to advance outside the local system. That is, if your hosting provider has a local DNS cache, and has no record of "hotmail.com", the DNS request should get passed to a higher-level DNS server. If that server does not know about "hotmail.com", then the request goes even higher. Eventually, there will be a DNS server that knows about "hotmail.com".

So, I think that may be the primary problem -- your hosting provider has a DNS configuration problem for your hosting account.